What's my O.G. suppose to be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
After a week of fermenting a 1.084 Jack Wookey Black Rye IPA I was wondering what my F.G. should be at that point?

I dont want a Final F.G. I want a mid-ferment F.G.. I know it probably sounds like a stupid question cause it's probably just 50% of the O.G. but I didn't know if it was suppose to be actually more than that or less than that at like 60% after 1 week.

For future references you should draw a sample at the one week mark for big beers to see if the yeast is doing its job.

It depends on pitch-rate, viability, generation of yeast, what kind of yeast, how much oxygen was added and temperature throughout the fermentation and so on.

I draw samples to monitor this myself. 007 usually eats about 12 pts pr day at the five day mark for me, if I remember correctly. Thats with 1.115 OG.

I dont want a Final F.G.

A Final, final gravity?

I want a mid-ferment F.G.. I know it probably sounds like a stupid question cause it's probably just 50% of the O.G. but I didn't know if it was suppose to be actually more than that or less than that at like 60% after 1 week.

That's confusing... I would think it's basically impossible for anyone to know how far it has progressed over the internet. Why not just take a gravity reading? There's too many variables to even know... Like the recipe, yeast used, fermentation temp, etc...

A Final, final gravity?

That's confusing... I would think it's basically impossible for anyone to know how far it has progressed over the internet. Why not just take a gravity reading? There's too many variables to even know... Like the recipe, yeast used, fermentation temp, etc...

I think hes asking if his fermentation is "normal" by comparing to others numbers, which indeed is impossible to answer.

I think hes asking if his fermentation is "normal" by comparing to others numbers, which indeed is impossible to answer.

Yes I am asking if my beer is fermenting "normal". I have had problems with stuck fermentations as of late and I want to make sure it's not doing that again.

Why not just take a gravity reading?

I have taken a gravity reading. The O.G. was 1.084 and when I took the gravity reading 1 week into it it was at 1.042. The F.G. is suppose to be 1.021. I just want to know if the 1.042 is the right reading after 1 week of fermenting?

Is there still activity in the airlock? Because if its still steadily fermenting away then that gravity reading is probably fine. A lot of it depends on the fermentation temp, the amount of yeast that you pitched, oxygen and even fermentor shape so it is hard for anyone to tell if that's what it should be at after a week. That being said if the airlock is not bubbling anymore then you may have need to be more worried.

You're looking for the SG (specific gravity). I think your numbers are in line if there is still visible activity.

There isn't a "midway mark" for nearly any brew. Most of your gravity will drop off through early fermentation, and the rest will finish off at dramatically different rates depending on yeast, recipe, temp, etc.

After a week of fermenting a 1.084 Jack Wookey Black Rye IPA I was wondering what my F.G. should be at that point?
You're reading the sound about right, but just remember used as biology, and no one he is just going to perform exactly the same all the time out of midpoint.

Your gravity should drop very quickly in the first 3-4 days, the fermentation curve is not linear. Here is one of mine:

Attachments

• FermCurve.jpg
    FermCurve.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
It would also help if we knew the yeast you were using.
London Ale III for me hits within a point of FG by day 4.

It was a blend of American ale yeast and London ale yeast both from Wyeast. But the only reason I was asking the question was because of another topic I had posted in this forum about stuck fermentation. I think I have got my question answered; I am mashing at too high a temperature and extracting too many unfermentables and it's not fermenting as planned. You can read my post here.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/having-a-problem-with-stuck-fermentation-s.644140/
So I think that's the issue. But thank you for the help.

Back