What's my efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
8lbs Pale
2lb Vienna
1lb 20L

As per the Malts chart, that comes to:
36*8 + 36*2 + 34*1 = 394

I collected 6.5 gallons

394/6.5 = 60.61

Does that mean my max gravity at 100% efficiency would be 1.061?

Pre boil gravity was 1.054
1.061/1.054 = ~89%

Beersmith is telling me that at 100% my max OG would be 1.072. That seems a little high... that would give me 75%

Which is correct?

First- F-you and your "oh so High" eff.

Second - IIRC, you're correct except that the final portion of the equation looks like this:
(54/61)*100% = 88.5% (you had the numerator and denominator switched)

Check the PPG listed for the malts in beersmith vs. the ones on the chart. If you really want to get precise, use the actual average data for the brand/type of malt listed by the actual maltster.

:off: Sorry, but how do you guys measure volume accurately, or are you rounding?

I use a graduated measuring stick, but it only gets me to the closest half-gallon, so when it says 'collect 6.78 gallons' I am guessing around the level on the stick I need for that volume.

Just round your volume measurements so that it results in a better efficiency number...BANG +5% :rockin:

But seriously, knowing your equipment and making the best estimation possible, as consistently as possible from one batch to the next will help you get a handle on your process efficiency. Same goes for gravity measurements where 1mm represents a 2 point swing. Knowing what to expect is more important than having an awesome number.

FWIW, I'm using a stick marked at 2qt. increments, so I can guess within ~1qt. accuracy.

Back