what's killing my beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
I have had a bad flavor on different batches different styles extract and all grain. The most recent scenario it's an extract batch with a pound and a half grain. I have previously thought this flavor was due to being an electric Brewer. In this scenario I had my pid turn down but not turned off on accident. I added the dry extract and the heater came on and possibly scorched. I have scorched beers. The issue is you know right away. Going to the fermenter it would smell burnt or any sample. A few of these beers that I've had a bad flavor however are fine until keg for about two or three days. This flavor I would describe as astringent bitterness. On my all grain beers I used to think this was pH related and that's really where the word astringent came from. I do monitor my pH and I build my water from RO. Tasting last night I also would say this flavor is someone cardboard wet cardboard. I'm unsure of oxidation can really be this strong though. In the time this occurs about three days after kegging, does that mean this is a possible oxidation case?
West coast IPA extract kit. 5 gallon
7lbs dry extract
1 lbs sugar
8 oz aromatic, 8 oz carapils, 8 oz crystal 10
Bry-97 west coast ale yeast
6 oz hops. Schedule not in front of me.
I hydrate yeast and ferment about 62. I do bring temp up after fermentation has stopped to dry it out.
Everything is cleaned starsan and pbw. Keg system was good cleaned and previous beer did not have this flavor. It was cream of three crops AG.
One difference between last beer and this beer is the water, I do build my water but I realize this extract kit was just tap, 8g of gypsum added. My tap is good and most people have no problems with tap on an extract correct? This beer I also purged and shook the keg a bit to carb. Any transfers are done with purging first with CO2.

Most complaints of astringent are usually traced to fermenting too hot. Not the case with yours. Scorching could be part of the problem, if when the element came on, it did some scorching. The cardboard taste leads to oxidation. Since you purge with co2 you will have to look at your processes before that. Transferring the cooled wort to the fermenter. Oxygen getting in the fermenter?

If your tap water is good that should not be a big issue.

That's all I have.

Did you treat your tap water for Chlorine/Chloramine? That won't lead to wet cardboard but it will lead to other off flavors.

Just as an update my most recent beer, an AG wheat is in gas and has not yet given me an off flavor. This beer was kegged in just 8 days and taste amazing needing a little more time yet to carb fully. This was an all RO beer. Different profile too but mainly all RO.

Back