What's growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dushtacular

Reaction score
this is my 3rd home brew. the first was good, second not as good, and the third has been particularly strange. my current batch is an irish stout kit with dry yeast. the initial fermentation was slow but eventually got to a fg 1.016 after 3 weeks. since moving to the secondary fermenter, i would notice days of bubbling followed by days of no activity. now, it seems to fluctuate between pressure and no pressure, i.e. sometimes one half of the airlock is filled and sometimes the other half is filled. and now, i have noticed spots slowly growing on the top (picture attached). its been in the secondary fermenter for about 3 weeks. any thoughts on next step would be appreciated. should i toss it? bottle?

stout.jpg

I had a wheat beer that had the same thing on the top. I kegged it like normal and everything seemed alright taste wise. I would suggest bottling or Kegging sooner rather than later if possible. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My wheat beer looked the same and it was just yeast. If you tap on the fermenter does the stuff drop down at all?

The stuff is definitely on top. I just tapped the bottle and the stuff stays on top.

I would try skimming some off the surface and sniff testing it. If it smells musty, earthy then it might be mold. If that is the case, I second jimmy blue eyes, skim it and bottle the stuff. Just remember there is almost nothing that can grow in beer that can kill you, it just might taste gross. Far more experienced brewers on here have mentioned so many off flavors during bottling that go away with time, so don't worry too much. Just a suggestion for bottling in the slim case this is a full blown infection, put the bottles somewhere that they can blow up in peace.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Bottled today and had a little taste. Not awful. Wait and see I guess.

I would try skimming some off the surface and sniff testing it. If it smells musty, earthy then it might be mold. If that is the case, I second jimmy blue eyes, skim it and bottle the stuff. Just remember there is almost nothing that can grow in beer that can kill you, it just might taste gross. Far more experienced brewers on here have mentioned so many off flavors during bottling that go away with time, so don't worry too much. Just a suggestion for bottling in the slim case this is a full blown infection, put the bottles somewhere that they can blow up in peace.

I would NEVER sniff test any mold ! EVER !

Cheers :mug:

I do not think there is anything dangerous about sniff testing mold especially the kind that is growing in the beer. Mold growing in a house causes problems due to chronic mold exposure, not acute. There is always mold in the air unless your air is filtered. Sniff testing a small amount of mold should be perfectly safe.

Poor new guy. We are just being silly, there is no chance that this is a flesh eating fungus, if that even exists. I think flesh eating bacteria exists, but it wouldn't be growing in beer.

Back