What's an excellent "northeast" style IPA that I can actually find?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macaronijones

Reaction score
Been reading a lot about these breweries lately, the likes of Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Tree House, etc, and it seems all these great beers have extremely limited distribution. It adds to the appeal, no doubt, but I'm not ready to make a beer pilgrimage to Vermont just yet.

So what's a good example of this style that has wider distribution? I live in the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina, an area that has undergone its own craft beer renaissance with a brewery or bottle shop seemingly around every corner, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't something I could find. Asked a guy at the local shop today who wasn't too knowledgeable, so figured I'd ask here.

Oh for sure. And I definitely take advantage of it. Just curious to see what the fuss is all about without hopping on a plane

Been reading a lot about these breweries lately, the likes of Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Tree House, etc, and it seems all these great beers have extremely limited distribution. It adds to the appeal, no doubt, but I'm not ready to make a beer pilgrimage to Vermont just yet.

So what's a good example of this style that has wider distribution? I live in the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina, an area that has undergone its own craft beer renaissance with a brewery or bottle shop seemingly around every corner, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't something I could find. Asked a guy at the local shop today who wasn't too knowledgeable, so figured I'd ask here.

Dogfish has a lot of great IPA's. But like posted above, I would say trading is the way to go. If you can get Wicked weed you can trade for pretty much anything haha.

Part of the NE IPA style is getting it fresh when all the hop debris is still in suspension. Not sure if it would work as a large distribution.

Part of the NE IPA style is getting it fresh when all the hop debris is still in suspension. Not sure if it would work as a large distribution.

Truth. I think larger distro would be fine though.

konkeydong.jpg

You could make a much shorter trip to Richmond. A brewer that used to work with John at the Alchemist and Shawn at Hill Farmstead just opened a brewery there called The Veil. He's serving great NE Style IPAs

You could make a much shorter trip to Richmond. A brewer that used to work with John at the Alchemist and Shawn at Hill Farmstead just opened a brewery there called The Veil. He's serving great NE Style IPAs

Cool, good to know. Appreciate the info everyone. And yeah, wicked weed is the jam.

I'm nearby in Apex and have been on the exact same hunt with pretty much the same results. The proprietor of Highcraft Beer Market in Cary had a couple that were loosely to style. There, I picked up a couple of beers from Otter Creek of Vermont. I remember one was Backseat Berner. I also have seen that stocked at The Beer Dispensary in downtown Apex.

While not exactly to style, my local favorites are Hoppyum and Jade from Foothills Brewing in Winston-Salem. Carolina Brewery in Holly Springs brews an excellent seasonal IPA named Wiggo, but is currently out of season. Of course, Wicked Weed... I prefer Napoleon Complex over Pernicious.

I'm trying to convince SWMBO that we should make a day trip to Foothills today (1.5 hr drive) as it's currently my favorite brewery. Brueprint in Apex is having their 2 year anniversary shindig today, too.

Let us know how you do on your search!!

Yeah we're big foothills fans as well. Check out ponysaurus in durham if you haven't yet.

Think I'm going to brew one until I can visit my buddy who lives an hour from Tree House.

Yeah we're big foothills fans as well. Check out ponysaurus in durham if you haven't yet.

Think I'm going to brew one until I can visit my buddy who lives an hour from Tree House.

Will do. Haven't made it up to Ponysaurus yet. We made it to Trophy (awesome pizza) and Lonerider yesterday. Heading to Raleigh Brewing today to see how I did in the Carolina Brew Off.

+1 to this. I have not had this, but hoping to get a can or two from a trading partner in the next few weeks. I have heard good things about their beers.

Back