What's an All-round Traditional/noble hop to stock up on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm less familiar with more traditional 'spicy' hops than i am brighter fruity/citrus hops as most of the stuff i've been brewing was Ipas and pale ales.

Recently i've been delving into less fruity styles of beer like classic saisons, stouts, Esb's, brown ales, etc. For most of them, when following a recipe I've been subbing out most bittering editions with Cascade or Nz Hallertauer and avoiding late editions if the recipe calls for them.

Is there an 'All-Round' Spicy/traditional hop that i can sub out for most recipes that call for a noble hop?

I'm less familiar with more traditional 'spicy' hops than i am brighter fruity/citrus hops as most of the stuff i've been brewing was Ipas and pale ales.

Recently i've been delving into less fruity styles of beer like classic saisons, stouts, Esb's, brown ales, etc. For most of them, when following a recipe I've been subbing out most bittering editions with Cascade or Nz Hallertauer and avoiding late editions if the recipe calls for them.

Is there an 'All-Round' Spicy/traditional hop that i can sub out for most recipes that call for a noble hop?
Everything English would be Golding's. Everything else, Hallertauer Mittelfrüh or Czech Saaz.

If I would need to choose only one, I would go for MF. However, Saaz is also really great. So is Golding's.

+1 for Saaz. it blends in well enough in many recipes where a gentle touch with hops is required but can also stand on it's own to produce a complex hop bouquet for hoppier beer. I use it excessively in my Saison recipe as a finishing addition. Hersbrucker is also a favorite of mine for a more generic German finishing hop flavor/aroma.

Another vote for Tettnang. It sort of combines the characteristics of Saaz and Hallertau, a little more intensity and complexity of flavors/aromas than either, but just as balanced and elegant. My freezer needs a reload. It could also work nicely in traditional ales.

Styrian Goldings

"Sensory: Invitingly earthy and resinous as befits its Fuggle background, but with a more refined and restrained nature. When used in a hopback or as a dry hop, look for heightened floral and sweet spice."

Saphir has become one of my new go-to's for continental styles. It's a good blend of dry and spicy saazer characters and a nice floral component that reminds me of mittelfruh. I use it in Italian pils mostly but would work in anything calling for noble hops.

So many hop styles are fruit or citrus. While I like them in a great many applications, like you, I was searching for some brewing alternatives.
You might want to check out Vojvodina. I've been playing with this hop and very much like its wood / cedar characteristics. Very versatile noble alternative.

So many hop styles are fruit or citrus. While I like them in a great many applications, like you, I was searching for some brewing alternatives.
You might want to check out Vojvodina. I've been playing with this hop and very much like its wood / cedar characteristics. Very versatile noble alternative.
A couple of local growers here in Ohio are growing this, it was the first I'd heard of it. I'm interested in giving it a try.

Back