What's a keggle worth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cha ngo

Reaction score
I see there is a guy selling them with a welded on threaded coupling for a thermometer and a spigot for $145.00. Does this price seem good? If you were in the market for a keggle, what features would you look for?

It's a good price if you don't know how to weld and don't have a friend that will do it for a discount

I'd say that's a fair price. If you're looking at one of pedalbiker's keggles on eBay, look around here; he's a member, and a couple of people have spoken very highly of his wares. I'm thinking about picking up a couple cornies off of him soon.

Let's say I had access to a large number of legal kegs and could convert them and sell them.. I would not put the thermometer fitting on but just a welded SS coupler for a spigot. What would be a good deal?

Well, I built mine for
1) Keg = $Free
2) Grinder wheel/cutting wheel/tools $20
3) Self assembled weldless spigot and hop-stopper $37

so I am in for $57 total...

ON the opposite of the spectrum, I bought (from my LHBS) a 65,000 BTU burner, keggle with brass outlet (and on/off) and false bottome for $300. I have yet to brew in this monstrosity and only did a test run once, it took 50 min. to bring 7 gallons to boil.

Some day soon...

I think it's a fair price. Kegs aren't cheap - even at the scrapyard. While simple, the labor involved is easily worth $40-$60, and the fittings are worth another $20. On top of that, he's probably looking to make at least a small profit.

On a similar note...if anyone has a line on cheap/free 1/2 bbl kegs in southern NM/west TX, let me know!

I don't think that's too bad. I just started picking up the pieces for my AG set-up and got a 1/2 barrel boil kettle (with all the fittings and a sight guage), and an electric 1/2 barrel HLT(with the fittings, weldless) for 300. That price included a few odds and ends and 2 carboys too. now just have to build a Mash tun Yeah.

:off: Any of you that have kegs collecting dust and spiders and want to get them off your hands.....

it took 50 min. to bring 7 gallons to boil.

Wow! That seems long.

I have a really unusual burner that I bought around 95-96. I've never seen another one like it. It has no burner per say, just a pipe with a brass hex cap and a hole drilled to some wire gauge spec for a 11 WC pressure propane tank. It has a cast iron deflector plate to break the flame or else I would most likely burn a hole in the keggle. Not sure exactly how many BTU's the burner is but It will shoot a 4 foot blue flame unless the deflector plate is ingaged.

Oh yeah, one more thing, it really chews through the propane!

Cookiebaggs said:
Wow! That seems long.

I have a really unusual burner that I bought around 95-96. I've never seen another one like it. It has no burner per say, just a pipe with a brass hex cap and a hole drilled to some wire gauge spec for a 11 WC pressure propane tank. It has a cast iron deflector plate to break the flame or else I would most likely burn a hole in the keggle. Not sure exactly how many BTU's the burner is but It will shoot a 4 foot blue flame unless the deflector plate is ingaged.

Oh yeah, one more thing, it really chews through the propane!

SWEET, sorry to post whore but thats awsome!

+1

cha ngo said:
Let's say I had access to a large number of legal kegs and could convert them and sell them.. I would not put the thermometer fitting on but just a welded SS coupler for a spigot. What would be a good deal?

$100 would be a nice deal ,but most people will want two or three 1/2 ports

I have a 55k BTU burner and I can get 6.5 gallons boiling in about 10 minutes... why so long Flyinlion????

Yeah, it's really something. You should see this sucker bring 14 gallons of wort to a boil! :rockin:

I have to be right there with a thermometer and adjust heat accordingly. The boil comes up from the bottom like a raped ape. Usually I dial back on the heat when I think it's about to roll and then bring it up gradually.

cha ngo said:
Let's say I'm interested...and you can skip any cutting or fittings on mine...

Name your price.

Cookiebaggs said:
Yeah, it's really something. You should see this sucker bring 14 gallons of wort to a boil! :rockin:

I have to be right there with a thermometer and adjust heat accordingly. The boil comes up from the bottom like a raped ape. Usually I dial back on the heat when I think it's about to roll and then bring it up gradually.

How quickly does a raped ape move:D..just curious:cross:

Dan

Latest posts

Back