whats a good, inexpensive induction plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydlaw

Reaction score
I am looking for an induction plate to brew my wort. my pot is a 10 gallon and it is 15 inches in diameter. Any ideas on a good one that isn't going to break the bank. I must keep it under $300. under $200 would be even better. I don't know much about these things in terms of pricing and what i should look for in terms of wattage, so some education would be great, Thanks!

I have this one ^ too. I would suggest the 240V version as shown, vs. 120V.

Type "induction" in the search bar. There is a bunch of great info. on these threads.

I have the 120V version, the IC-1800 and it is wonderful. It’s a joy to cook with and it is very sturdy and well made. I use two of these with 12 qt pots and I have power to spare. If you do this, make sure you have separate circuits, they each draw 15 amps.

The problem with the IC-3600 is that it uses a NEMA 6-20p plug. That’s a 20 amp 240V circuit. Your dryer is 30 amp and your stove 50 amp, both completely different receptacles. You could make an adapter but the parts aren’t cheap, it’ll set you back about $50. Plus unless you have an open outlet, plugging and unplugging your stove or dryer is going to be a PITA.

Be sure your pot is compatible, it should be able to stick a magnet.

I’m not trying to talk you out of it, just warning you that you might want to talk to an electrician before you order the cooktop.

I'm researching everything now. I planned on installing a 20 amp breaker anyway, adding an additional outlet won't be difficult although I need to verify if the 18/2 wire I have handy could handle the 240v outlet. That being said, I just purchased a 40 gal aluminum pot so I would need to upgrade that as well.

I'm researching everything now. I planned on installing a 20 amp breaker anyway, adding an additional outlet won't be difficult although I need to verify if the 18/2 wire I have handy could handle the 240v outlet. That being said, I just purchased a 40 gal aluminum pot so I would need to upgrade that as well.

18 gauge wire is not suitable for carrying 20 amps of current. 12 gauge would be the minimum recommended to code.

18 gauge wire is not suitable for carrying 20 amps of current. 12 gauge would be the minimum recommended to code.

Thanks,
I'll keep an area open so when the time comes, i can run it to its own breaker and utilize the required wiring. I am still a little ways away though.

Back