What's a good AG recipe to REALLY show the difference between AG and extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
With the recent purchase of a burner + aluminum pot for $35 shipped, I've decided to go all grain from here on out. I may be forced into doing partial mashes in the near future due to space limitations in my new apartment far away from home, but I am pretty much done with extract + steeping grains brews.

I'm looking for a recipe that will make me think "Wow, what a difference!" when I take my first sip. Preferably a hoppy, clear recipe.

I've heard great things about Edworts Haus Pale ale recipe, and I had that picked for my first AG, but I was wondering if it will be different enough from the extract brews I've brewed to make me happy I switched over.

honestly, all of them....but start with a light beer. Any light beer.

AG will allow you to nail the color better, and you'll definitely notice a finer example of subtle taste differences. Not saying you can't make a great extract classic american pils, but an AG one would bring out the finer points of the style, IMHO.

Centennial Blonde... I think that will really wow you... AND it is ready in just a couple weeks! If you cannot get Centennial hops, I replaced them with Columbus, it is a wonderful AG beer.

Centennial Blonde Ale
Created by Robert on 03/30/2008
Brew Target Statistics
Style Blonde Ale
Efficiency 75.00 %
Pre-boil Volume 6.80 gallons US
OG 1.043
IBU 21.6
Mash Ratio 1.25 qt/l
Post-boil Volume 5.50 gallons US
FG 1.011
SRM 4.3
Mash Time 75 min
Boil Time 60 min
Yeast Danstar Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast
ABV 4.2 %
Liquor Temp. Loss 0.0 F
Evaporation 1.3 gallons
Attenuation 75.00 %
Mash Schedule
beta 150 F Mash in with 2.7 gallons US of water at 162.6 F
mashout 165.5 F Add 1.4 gallons US of water at 200.0 F
sparge 170 F 170 F fly Sparge with 3.9 gallons US at 170.0F
To collect 6.8 gallons US
Fermentables
American Crystal 10L 0.5 lb
American Two-Row 7 lb
Belgian Carapils 0.75 lb
Vienna 0.5 lb 5.7 %
Totals: 8.75 pounds
Hops
Columbus 0.12 oz Pellet 13.0 Boil 55
Columbus 0.25 oz Pellet 13.0 Boil 35
Cascade 0.25 oz Pellet 8.0 Boil 20
Cascade 0.25 oz Pellet 8.0 Boil 5
21.6 IBU

I have found from me making a couple horrible batch when i started AG to abide by the simple K.I.S.S. saying.........Keep it simple stupid. You will have far more success if you stick to something easy first. Then work your way up as you learn more.

Base malt
a little crystal
and a few hops

Keep it light keep it simple and you wont be let down. Bottom line you are going to be like a monkey banging a football during your first AG brew.
Right now i have a really easy brew in the secondary. It is super light but when i transfered to the secondary it tasted awesome.
5lbs. marris otter
8oz. 20l
.5oz centinial
.5oz cascade

I have found from me making a couple horrible batch when i started AG to abide by the simple K.I.S.S. saying.........Keep it simple stupid. You will have far more success if you stick to something easy first. Then work your way up as you learn more.

Base malt
a little crystal
and a few hops

Keep it light keep it simple and you wont be let down. Bottom line you are going to be like a monkey banging a football during your first AG brew.
Right now i have a really easy brew in the secondary. It is super light but when i transfered to the secondary it tasted awesome.
5lbs. marris otter
8oz. 20l
.5oz centinial
.5oz cascade

Hey, hows STL treating you? If you ever venture out here toward IND, stop in for some brews on tap in my garage man!

I've just started AG. I've done 2 so far. I did do the Centennial Blonde also. It's in the secondary, ready to bottle.

My first was Ed Wort's Haus Ale. It's another simple recipe which is supposed to taste great. Mine's bottled. I'm saving it for a family party next week.

I highly recommend Ed's Haus Pale as a first AG. It's simple, an excellent beer in general, and in particular it has a nice clean maltiness to it which (for me) was a stark contrast to all the extract batches I'd done.

Not to sound overly dramatic, but it was the first AG batch I brewed, and halfway through the first pint I decided that I was never going back to extract as long as I had the choice - and since then not an ounce of extract has gone into my beer except in yeast starters.

IMO, it's the PERFECT beer to use as an example of why AG is so great.

I started with 10 pounds of 2 row, Saaz and Tet hops and German Ale Yeast. My LHBS did not have pilsner malt. THe color is lighter. I will see about the taste in a few weeks.

+1 on the Edwort's Haus Pale, I too took the first pint of this brew and thought to myself "I can actually make good beer finally!". My wife did not like beer before I got into all-grain, mine or commercial, but so far she has liked all of my all-grain, 5 batches now, and has began to like many of our fine microbrews in this state.

I've been doing all grain for a few years, and usually my recipe is what I write after I put my stuff together.
Here's something simple that is guaranteed to taste good.

10# pale
1# Crystal
1 oz 5% (adjust accordingly) alpha hop 60 minutes
1 oz (your favorite flavoring hop) 15 minutes

US1056 or any other ale yeast

All grain compared to extract is like Folgers crystals compared to grinding your own beans.
Even if you screw it up it's better than the alternative.

Centennial Blonde... I think that will really wow you...

I just brewed my first AG on friday using this very recipe by BierMuncher. It was a great first beer to brew IMO. Very clear and thorough recipe. Straight forward. The post boil wort was delicius so I'm very excited to taste this after conditioning! :mug:

Seems like Biermuncher and EdWort have a rivalry going. Who can get more newbies into all grain using their respective recipes?

I think I may go with Edworts first just because pale ales are probably my favorite beer at the moment. I will definitely do Biermunchers second, however.

Back