What yeast to use in a stout ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay_ID

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a coopers original stout extract kit with 2kgs DME and 1kg of brewing sugar, would the coopers yeast that comes with the kit be acceptable to use with good results?

I would assume that it would be acceptable if kept in a good fermentation temperature range for the beer.

I did my calculations and unless made a mistake the OG should be around 1.080, would one dry yeast packet (the one that comes with the can) be enough for this ?

the yeast it comes with is fine, but definitely make a starter. it's super easy. just take a growler, sanitize it, boil a quart or so of water, add some DME ( people usually say enough to make a 1.04 SG). then just pitch your yeast, cover it loosely with aluminum foil and leave it for a day, shaking it as often as you can. after a day, you can either put it in the fridge to cold crash for a day, pour off the "wort" and pitch the yeast, or you can pitch the whole thing.

the yeast it comes with is fine, but definitely make a starter. it's super easy. just take a growler, sanitize it, boil a quart or so of water, add some DME ( people usually say enough to make a 1.04 SG). then just pitch your yeast, cover it loosely with aluminum foil and leave it for a day, shaking it as often as you can. after a day, you can either put it in the fridge to cold crash for a day, pour off the "wort" and pitch the yeast, or you can pitch the whole thing.

I was informed you shouldn't make a yeast starter with dry yeast but hydrate it instead.

i wouldn't make a starter for dry yeast unless the pack is really old. the cell count, health, and viability of dry yeast in unopened packets is high as long as they have been stored well. read up on rehydrating dry yeast if you don't already rehydrate. if you decide you don't have enough viable yeast for this beer (batch size=? yeast production date?) you can make a starter to boost the cell count, but it's easier and quicker (and cheap) to buy 2 packs of fresh dry yeast, s04 or nottingham for example should make a nice stout if you like english styles.

Coopers should work just fine. I've used it a time or two, I didn't particularly love the beer but I cannot in good conscience say it was the yeasts fault. More likely it was the kit and the style, or perhaps my fledgeling brewing faults shining through. (a swift move to all grain and building my own recipes generally fixed that problem) Personally, I like SafeAle S-04 for stouts and most Euro style ales. Its cheap, does the job well and I don't need to use starters unless I'm making an imperial something. I find that with some temp control I can successfully pull off a good English bitter or ESB, Scottish ale, Irish stout or porter quite well with appropriate adjustment to fermentation temp.

I also usually rehydrate my yeast, and when I do (after reading a rather interesting article) I add just a drip of olive oil to the re-hydrating yeast. I have noticed a marked difference in the vigor of fermentation and little to no difference in head retention. It may be placebo effect or it may be real science, but I have learned to swear by it. The only oxygenation I do is dumping my wort into the fermenter as carelessly as is prudent and mess free as possible and even blow-off tubes sometimes cant keep up with the krausen.

It would be ok to add different types of yeasts right ?
For example the dry yeast that comes with the extract kit and an S04 ?

It won't hurt anything. Some people are very detail oriented and might say no, but the fact of that matter is, your beer will taste fine if you blend yeasts. The problem might be with repeatability, but some times, who cares?

Read up on that. One may over power the other in terms of flavor. However, they both seem neutral in flavor so it may be fine.

Don't make starters with dry yeast. You're wasting your time.

My preferred yeast for that style is S-04 dry or Wyeast 1098 and with 1098 you want to pitch 2 packs or make a starter. Even 2 packs for the OG you'll have is a bit under pitching so a starter is better and cheaper.

Back