What yeast/bugs in Rodenbach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
My local Rempke had a couple of bottles of Rodenbach (not the Grand Cru). I was wondering what it is like, and if it had any live yeast or bugs in it worthe culturing or tossing into a sour.

Anyone any information on it?

regular rodenbach is quite good, albeit quite a bit sweeter than the grand cru. Pick up a bottle or two and enjoy, but like guess said, unfortunately it is sterile :(

Rodenbach single foeder releases are really great if you can get your hands on them I highly suggest it, last time I came across them I cleared out the store and haven't regretted it

It is incredibly good an definitely worth trying. It however is pasteurized so no cultures.

That surprises me. It says it is a blend of 75% 2 year beer and 25% 1 year (or something like that. It is bottled in champagne style bottles, giving the impression there is bottle fermentation.

That surprises me. It says it is a blend of 75% 2 year beer and 25% 1 year (or something like that. It is bottled in champagne style bottles, giving the impression there is bottle fermentation.

thats the grand cru then, and unless the bottle is very old, the "new" blend is now 1/3 young, 2/3 old beer

the only way they can keep the sweetness in the beer is by pasteurizing it

thats the grand cru then, and unless the bottle is very old, the "new" blend is now 1/3 young, 2/3 old beer

the only way they can keep the sweetness in the beer is by pasteurizing it

I'll check next time I'm in the store. It didn't say 'Grand Cru', but it did say 25% 1 year old beer. This is a new bottle, I've used the store for 10 years, regularly check their beer (occasionally they have something interesting), and this is new this past week.

If you want to go the easy route, Wyeast Roselare is from Rodenbach, right?

I'll check next time I'm in the store. It didn't say 'Grand Cru', but it did say 25% 1 year old beer. This is a new bottle, I've used the store for 10 years, regularly check their beer (occasionally they have something interesting), and this is new this past week.

Hmm, maybe an old case in the back of a distributor, I remember tasting rodenbach a couple years back after suffering a drought of it and it tasted markedly different than it used to.

As I recall it used to be 1/4 young, 3/4 aged, but now even looking at rate beer it says 1/3-2/3 split
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rodenbach-grand-cru/1194/

ryane said:
Not really, its meant to mimic it though

Ah. Yea I was going by mr malty charts and didn't know which was the case.

Latest posts

Back