What Would You Make With...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
...the following ingredients list:

Grain:
9# 2-Row
1# Vienna
1# Patagonia 15L
.75# Carapils
.75# Simpsons Medium Crystal 50-60L
.75# Dehusked Carafa III
2# Sugar (could be plain addition or made into "Candi Syrup" of any color/flavor profile)

Hop:
4 oz Cascade

Yeast:
Anything

This is a thinly veiled attempt to figure out what to do with my leftover grains, but I would be interested in how many different styles/creative hybrids you fellow brewers come up with. Obviously not all ingredients above need to be used, just a combination of all or some. I'll leave yeast open ended so as to not pigeonhole one style.

I'll start with an interesting "Belgian." Comments and critiques welcome.:tank:

5 Gallon Batch - All Grain
90 Minute Boil

9# 2-row
1# Vienna
1# Patagonia 15L

Mash @ 156F for 60 mins

.5 oz Cascade @ 60 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 20 min
1# Light Amber Candi Syrup (270F) @ 10 min

Yeast: WLP500 Monastary Ale Yeast

Honestly You could make almost anything the is not dark with that. Your recipe looks fine but I don't do belgains yet!

You could simply go with a pale ale. You could adjust the hop schedule or mash temp if you want or go with your favorite ale yeast. But this fits the profile and shouldn't a bad one by any means...

5 Gallon Batch - All Grain
60 Minute Boil

9# 2-row
1# Vienna
.75# Simpsons Medium Crystal 50-60L

Mash @ 153F for 60 mins

1.5 oz Cascade @ 60 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min

Wyeast Labs 1272 American Ale II

I'd probably throw all of it together except the 15L crystal and make a black ipa.

Of course you would. More hops better good.

Honest question...wouldn't that much Carafa III be crazy in an IPA or the does the dehusked nature of it make it more palatable?

Of course you would. More hops better good.

Honest question...wouldn't that much Carafa III be crazy in an IPA or the does the dehusked nature of it make it more palatable?

I don't have much experience with Black IPAs to be honest, so don't take my word for it, but I think 5-8% dehusked cara 3 is pretty standard. If it's not dehusked yeah that's stout territory. But honestly black ipa vs hoppy porter is a tricky line regardless.

If I was designing a recipe from the ground up it sure wouldnt look like that, but what you have on hand would still make a tasty beer. besides needing more hops for more better good, of course.

Honestly You could make almost anything the is not dark with that. Your recipe looks fine but I don't do belgains yet!

Actually, you can brew lots of dark beers with that. Carafa III is a really dark malt. If you put all of those ingredients together in a 5 gallon beer, you would end up right around 28-30 SRM (depending on which brand of Carafa III you have), which is well into Porter/Stout territory. Technically, the beer would fall under any of them except Imperial Stout and possibly Foreign Stout.

Back