What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey guys

I ordered a temp controller for my fridge a few days ago...here's my problem though.

I want to brew this weekend bc next weekend is going to be crazy. If I order my ingredients today from AHB it'll be here in time but I'm not sure if the controller will be. It was shipped the 28th and is supposed to arrive in 2-9 days.

If I can't brew this weekend then I might be able to sometime durring the week.

Will the precrused grains be ok? Or should I just wait till the controller gets here to order my ingredients?

Thanks guys

(Damn I wish I had a LHBS....)

I wouldn't think your grains would go bad that quickly. I've kept crushed grains in the cupboard for a couple of weeks when I had to reschedule a brew day. Didn't notice any problems.

I order 2-3 batches of precrushed at a time to save shipping and only brew once a weekend.

The grains should be fine.

Just curious though, why do you need a controller to brew? Is it a lagering controller for a lager?

Well, our house stays a constant 80*....so I can't even brew an ale (maybe a siason but...) so I've got to have some way of controlling the temp.

And yeah, I was going to brew a Kolsch...

Cool, well then I'll order my ingredients and hope my controller gets here!

Thanks guys

You could put your fermenter in a big rubbermaid container or trash can half-filled with water. Put a shirt or fleece sweater over the fermenter to gain some evaporative cooling. You can also cool even further with a fan blowing on the fermenter, and go even cooler by adding ice packs (frozen water in old milk containers works well). The temps stay pretty constant using these techniques.

Cool thanks for your help guys.....Just ordered.

I know it probubly sounds weird but I'm brewing a lone star clone....My fiance really likes it and hey, why not?

i'm doing it with a Kolsch yeast though....I'm going to have a temp controlled fridge but I don't see myself doing too many lagers so I chose the kolsch yeast as I can wash and harvest it for later.

thanks again!

Latest posts

Back