What would you do IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRoth36

Reaction score
So here's the deal I'll be doing an IPA in the next week or so. I do them frequently and produce some pretty good ones (at least good to me). I have a grain bill I really I like and I, set on bittering hops. The grain will be light with. Slight body so the focus can be on the hops. Here is a list of available hops that I have and don't want to order anymore. So for this IPA what would you do? I enjoy citrus more than floral.

3 oz cascade
2 oz citra
2 oz galaxy
1 oz amarillo
2 oz calypso
2 oz columbus
2 oz simcoe
2 oz HBC 342

To make it more interesting I'll choose one person idea and will send that person a few bottles to try. With that said I'll give the grain bill too.

13 lbs rather 2-row
.5 lb crystal 15L
.5 CaraFoam
2 oz magnum 12.3% for bittering

I would do this and am actually planning an IPA with this hop schedule but slightly different grain bill.
1 oz. cascade (15 min)
.5 oz. each of citra and simcoe(10 min)
.5 oz. columbus (5 min)
.5 oz. each of citra, columbus, and simcoe (flameout)

1 oz. each of citra, columbus, and simcoe (7 day dryhop)

Should give you a dank and citrusy aroma and taste.

I would do one large flameout addition and then stir or whirl pool it for 15 minutes before you start cooling.

1.5 Cascade
1.5 Galaxy
1.5 Citra
.5 Amarillo
.5 Simcoe
.5 Columbus

Dry hop with .5 each Cascade, Galaxy, and Citra for only 2 days, then add .5 each of Amarillo, Simcoe, and Columbus for 2-3 more.

20 min .5 simcoe .5 Amarillo
10 min .5 simcoe .5 Amarillo
0 min. 1 simcoe. 1 citra
Dryhop 1 citra 5 days

.5 simcoe 30 min
.5 citra 30 min
.5 simcoe 0 min
.5 citra 0 min
2oz galaxy dry hop 7days

I liked dry hopping with galaxy it's a cool hop

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Home Brew mobile app

2oz of magnum on a 1.060 wort is going to be super bitter. gonna have to push back with lots of late additions.

1oz cascade @ 30
1oz simcoe @ 30
2oz citra @ 0
2oz cascade @ 0
1oz amarillo @ 0

dry hop with the rest of your simcoe and all the galaxy. could do a pale ale with some columbus to bitter and use all the calypso. do it with pils/vienna base malt and some c20 mashed high to get the fruit flavors from the calypso out.

15 min: 1/2 oz each of simcoe/galaxy
10 min: 1/2 oz each of simcoe/galaxy
5 min: 1/2 oz each of simcoe/galaxy
flameout: 1/2 oz each of simcoe/galaxy
dry hop: 1 oz each of columbus/citra

Thanks for the replies. Debating on which one to do and see if anymore ideas get out there. I'm about to leave town till New Years so I still have a week or two before I brew it. I'll let you guys know what I do.

"2oz of magnum on a 1.060 wort is going to be super bitter. gonna have to push back with lots of late additions."
Not really. I typically use two ounces of warrior in my IPAs for bettering, which has more AA than magnum. Magnum is a smooth bitter too so you can usually get away with more.

1 oz cascade @5min
1 oz citra @5 min
1 oz galaxy @ 5 min
1 oz amarillo whirlpool/dry hop (whatever you choose)
2 oz columbus-- dry hop (nice and dank)
2 oz simcoe--- dry hop ( IMO i get peach at the end/ dry hop)
1 oz citra 1 oz galaxy dry hop

This might be over kill, but if you have these hops and want to make a great ipa, why not?

Back