what would you do about seedy hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I got a couple ounces of whole hops from my LHBS and after using about half of hem in a batch I found seeds in them. What should I do? The only concern I really have is the weight being off because of the seeds weighing so much. Anybody ever come across this problem?

I made an experimental batch a while ago with some wild hops that had a bunch of seeds (I was too lazy pick them all out). The resulting brew ended up with an "oily" mouth feel -- maybe because of the seeds, or maybe because the hops were harvested too late. I don't think hops harvested on time should have many, if any, seeds.

I've had seeds in a lot of the hops I've used (some intentionally let certain hops seed so they'll produce better). The alpha acid on the package should already be accounting for the seed weight.

It happens.

I forget which varieties but, some (continental I believe but am prolly wrong) are pretty renowned for being seeded. The only real scientific issue behind seeded hops is accounting for the wieght but it is nonetheless a debated topic.

I have never heard of any correlation to harvest time on seed content. Most hop yards goto great lengths to eliminate male plants when they are found. Problem is, some plants exhibit hermaphrodite abilities and others can just switch over (usually due to stress).

I have also read that it take only one male plant to pollenate (by wind currents alone) female plants up to 500 foot away.

If you are planning on planting the seeds, I have heard they need to be cold stressed to germinate. Put them in the freezer for a week or so, then wet paper towel or newspaper and see what happens, you may end up with free hop sprouts.

If you are planning on planting the seeds, I have heard they need to be cold stressed to germinate. Put them in the freezer for a week or so, then wet paper towel or newspaper and see what happens, you may end up with free hop sprouts.

Would be a fun experiment, but the hops would be of an unknown hybrid. Since it was not under controlled conditions your magnum hops could have been pollinated by a cascade male plant. This could give you a unique flavor hop to use in your brews though.

I have some simco hops wih seeds and some cetennial hops with seeds. I have had them in the freezer anyway to try to maintain freshness. I think it would be a fun experiment and I probally will try it.

You should plant hop seed on the winter soultice. jest place soil in a pot, put seed on top and mother nature will do the rest.

Back