What would you consider to be a summer style beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlafnitzegger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I was recently in a competition and found that even though it stated light summer style beer most people had hoppy apa and ipa beers. I would consider those types of beers to be year round ales and not particular to the summer style. When I think of summer beers I think of wits\wheats, blond ales, and Saisons (there are always others but that is why I am posting).
Of course this is very subjective to the consumer\brewer. What do you think a Summer style brew should be? :pipe:

Wheats, Saison, Pils, mostly anything European for me

Personally, saison is the style of choice for the summer season.

Summer ale is referred to in Mosher's book, Radical Brewing; specifically British Summer Ale. He writes that it is a new style dating to the mid eighties.

"Paler than most English bitters, summer ales are likely to be a little more intensely hopped as well. Most versions hover between 4.5- and 5- percent alcohol. Hops have a centre stage, with moderate to high bitterness backing up loads of fresh citric aroma."

He goes on to recommend EKG or Challenger hops.

I can see how folks would turn out an apa following a description like that.

I am brewing a Belgian Witbier on Sunday for my son's graduation party on May 18, hopefully outside enjoying nice spring weather.

50% Pale Malt and 50% Wheat Malt for 1.045 OG
60 min English or noble hop for 15 IBU
Coriander and dried orange peel
WLP400

Kolsch, blonde ales, hefeweizens and witbiers are all great "lawnmower beers" for me. I would even consider a crisp pale ale as well.

I just bottled a blonde ale SMaSH with 10 lbs Bohemian Pilsner, Hallertau, 1/2 oz. sweet orange peel and US-05. Hydro sample tasted great and I can't wait to crack those open when the weather finally warms up.

Berliner Weiss and any sour session beer says summer to me. For a stronger beverage, Belgian Golden Strong Ale.

Overall, I agree about IPA being a "year round" beer. (I love hops too much to reserve them for a subsection of the year.) Likewise for pale ale, however, my preference in pale ale changes by season: summer pale ale should be made with 2-row or pale malt and 15-40L crystal at about 5%, using chico type ale yeast (you could also use certain very fruity british strains like WLP023) and american citrusy hops; in winter, crystal malts should be darker (40-150L) and more aggressive (8%, less for the very dark crystal malts), hops a little more English (Fuggles, Willamette, EKG), and fermentation should use a UK type yeast. Put another way: I like APA in the summer and Bitter in the winter. (I really consider both of these more or less regional variants of the same broader style of beer.)

Latest posts

Back