what would be better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroiv

Reaction score
i pitched 2 packs of us-05 into 5 gallons of graffs and put it in a closet that is about 52* F is that too cold? should i move it to another closet in my house that is about 60* F and will get about 5 degrees warmer

Hi Jroiv,
I recently brewed an all grain batch of pale ale, and tried fermenting it at 60 degree air temp, carboy was sitting on concrete slab which was a few degress cooler, I'd say it was probably 10 degrees cooler, I started the ferment upstairs at probably 67 degrees and was going well until I brought it down and set it on the slab which essentially shut down fermentation. I had to get it up off the slab and put it on the freezer, agitate it, and wrap my seedling starter mat around the carboy with a t-shirt over that to keep it in contact for a day until fermentation got going good again.
This five gallons was half of a 10 gallon batch, and the wyeast german ale 1007 did well sitting on the slab, actually it was surprising, it thrived on the concrete slab, but anyway. So, you can try it at that lower temp, but I would suggest waiting a day or two until it was really rolling and turbulent with yeast action.

Latest posts

Back