What would be a good water-to-grain ratio for this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neb_brewer

Reaction score
I'm contemplating switching to All Grain for my next batch. The batch is going to be Northern Brewer's Black IPA. The recipe is:

MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 11.5 lbs. Rahr 2-row pale
--.5 lbs. Briess Caramel 80L
--.25 lbs. Weyermann Dehusked Carafa III
--.25 lbs. Simpsons Chocolate malt

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
-- 1 oz. Summit (60 min)
-- 1 oz. Simcoe (15 min)
-- 1 oz. Centennial (10 min)
-- 1 oz. Cascade (5 min)
-- 1 oz. Amarillo (0 min)
-- 1 lb Corn sugar (0 min)
--
-- DRY HOPS – add to secondary fermenter
one week before packaging:
-- 1 oz. Ahtanum

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION

Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
1 oz. Summit (60 min)
1 oz. Simcoe (15 min)
1 oz. Centennial (10 min)
1 oz. Cascade (5 min)
1 oz. Amarillo (0 min)
1 lb Corn sugar (0 min)
Dry Hops – add to secondary fermenter one week before
packaging:
1 oz. Ahtanum

With 12.5 lbs of grain is it better to go with more water per pound of grain?

Well, you're limited by your equipment sometimes. If you have a 10 gallon mashtun you'll have to account for extra headspace and what that does to the temp when you mash in. If you're using a 5 gallon mashtun, at 12.5 lbs of grain you're basically going to do a 1 lb to 1 qt ratio and make the rest up in your sparge.

I was planning getting a 6 gallon mash tun for my 5 gallon batches if that would be adequate.

I emailed NB and they recommended 1.3-1.5 so I'll go with that. At that ratio do you guys think I'd be ok skipping on the mashout?

I don't know if I'll be able to do that.

For what it's worth a very successful professional brewer who started as a home brewer suggested to me that I use 1 qt per pound and that has always worked well for me. I was using 1.25 qts and he suggested that I change. A thick mash tends to holds it temp better too.

But, to each his own.

You don't want to skip the mashout. Raising the temparature of the graing bed is an important step of the process. I also went from 1.25 to 1 qt and ahve had better luck

What's the best way to raise the temps to 170 using a cooler for my mash tun? Heat up water in my 7.5 gal kettle and pour it in?

I aim for 1-1.1 qt/lb for English styles or high gravity styles that I will heavily fly sparge to try to get as much extract from the grain as possible. I go for ~1.25 qt/lb for most standard beers.

You don't want to skip the mashout. Raising the temparature of the graing bed is an important step of the process. I also went from 1.25 to 1 qt and ahve had better luck

I have done with and without the mashout. but it does help me get a couple extra pts and no worries about stuck sparges. If you don't have the room for it in your equipement, you could drain a few qts and then bring the temp up with whatever boiling water addition you would need to get to 168-170...

When you say drain a few qts, do you mean train some of the wort from the mash tune? I assume I'd do this after recirculating a few times. I'd then drain those few qts into my brew kettle? Then add some hot water to the mash tun, say 180ish, until I reach 170 for 10 minutes?

You could drain off a few quarts from the MT and later volauf it back into the MT after you have added hot water and raised temp, vorlaufed again and collected a few qts to clear head space in the MT.

Or vorlauf first and then collect a few qts, add hot water and vorlauf again and carry on with your sparge.

Hopefully not confusing you any further...

I see what you're saying. If I have the room in the MT could I just add the water to bring temps up to 170 without draining anything out?

Latest posts

Back