What went wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichellL

Reaction score
So I've made wine before and figured I'd give mead a try, I follow recipe it's been 3 months, it seems carbonated and is reading at 5 proof on the hydrometer. Can I fix or will it just be black cherry plum beer?

Which recipe did you follow?

5 proof is quite low obviously. Assuming you had a reasonable amount of sugar in the must, your yeast were dead or killed off shortly after pitch.

You need to use the specific gravity scale on the hydrometer, which should range from around 0.990 to 1.160.

I used a recipe for melomel that's in a winemakers handbook published in 1976 had over 2 lbs of honey, I used Lavin D47 which bubbled quite well, it's beautifully clear now but it did have around 3" at bottom of first transfer to carboy and it bubbled after transfer and the SG was at 1.030 or 1.040

I used a recipe for melomel that's in a winemakers handbook published in 1976 had over 2 lbs of honey, I used Lavin D47 which bubbled quite well, it's beautifully clear now but it did have around 3" at bottom of first transfer to carboy and it bubbled after transfer and the SG was at 1.030 or 1.040

Agree with RPh Guy then...you likely misread the hydrometer.

Agree with RPh Guy then...you likely misread the hydrometer.
Ok I've read it before with my wines and they finished at 14 proof with a SG of 1.122 which is my preference I like sweet, I have an apple Jack wine that is 1.130 due to extra sugar, maybe I did read it wrong Is there any fix or did I just waste time and honey?

Did you use any nutrients? What’s the starting and current gravity?
The problem with old recipes is the lack of nutrients. That causes meads to stall and or need a long time to age before being drinkable.

I used acid blend, tannin, yeast energizer and campden tabs, I didn't write my # down but believe it was 1.030 (which book states to transfer into secondary) now it is at 1.040, which it should have gone to 1.000, so I just don't understand what the heck happened

Ok I've read it before with my wines and they finished at 14 proof with a SG of 1.122 which is my preference I like sweet, I have an apple Jack wine that is 1.130 due to extra sugar, maybe I did read it wrong Is there any fix or did I just waste time and honey?
Those gravities are appropriate starting gravities for wine, not finishing gravities. Even a sweet wine would hopefully not be any higher than, I don't know, 1.050? I personally find 1.020 cloying if there's not enough acid or something to balance it.

Those gravities are appropriate starting gravities for wine, not finishing gravities. Even a sweet wine would hopefully not be any higher than, I don't know, 1.050? I personally find 1.020 cloying if there's not enough acid or something to balance it.
yea the apple Jack is only a few weeks old, and I back sweetened my wine to be a dessert wine, I've just started making wines over the last few years maybe I need a newer recipe book than the 1976 version, thanks ☺️

Back