What was your technique for getting a kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I had a lovely argument with my wife when I suggested I switch to kegging because she hates all the bottles floating around the house, the kitchen, the garage, etc. The six bottles that blew up in my guest room didn't help my hobby out at all. I suggested that all the clutter of bottles would disappear and no more bottle bombs, but the world famous money argument/it'll make our house look ugly kept coming back.
For those of you that have been able to convince your spouse that it's a GREAT idea to have a kegerator, how did you finally convince them?

Just do it. Mine was kept in the garage for the first few years, and it's now in the basement. If you live in an apartment or small house w/o a garage or basement, I could see her complaining, but otherwise, why would she care?

Remember this advice: It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission.

Craigslist... :) I picked up a fridge for $15.00 and it's not uncommon to see ads for free refrigerators. As far as the house being ugly, that's a crap argument. Put it in the garage.

I won the "Survivor" Football Pool here at HBT in 2007. With my winnings, I bought the kegging gear. Then, I found an apartment fridge for $15. That was all it took! :rockin:

I will say that he's never ever been anything but thrilled with the kegerator. To the point when the old apartment fridge died, he helped me buy a "new" old fridge and hauled it in the house so I could convert it too! And he helped me build a small dorm fridge kegerator for our cottage, because he doesn't want to be out of tap beer when we're at our cottage. He's also helped me haul kegs and kegging gear to our winter location in Texas. So, he's a convert!

He was so happy that I got rid of hundreds of bottles and he LOVES the kegerator now. He prefers my homebrew out of it than just about any commercial beer you could think of- which is quite a compliment!

Take a look at some of the freezer conversions here - they actually look *really* nice.

Came home with two brand new Frigidaire mini fridges for 75 bucks a pop from Lowes. Told the wife that we could keep additional food in one and beer/pop in the other. Now one is converted into a kegerator (with extended cold box to hold up to 6 cornies) under the bar and the other is also under the bar filled with beer. No food in sight. :)

It was easy: I've been married to the same wonderful woman for 35 years. She totally gets me.

So there's that - plus she really enjoys a good brew! :rockin:

My femto-brewery occupies roughly 160 square feet of our home and consists of two nearly-new 17cf fridges for ferms and cold storage, a few year old 10cf keezer with six T-tower faucets, and a 32cf roll-around cabinet I built for equipment storage. All three chillers were bought off Craig's List and together were just over $300.

She never blinked once...I'm a lucky dood ;)

Cheers!

Show pictures of the design styles people have created. Granted, a lot of them may not be to the style of the house, but the all wood frame ones, the ones that are tiled and coffin style kegs have quite a bit to them.

Personally, I plan on (eventually), using stainless steel, black paint, plexiglass and led bars to put a modern minimalist look on it. Once I have money anyways. Still working on the collar which will be in place this month once I'm not working 6+ days a week. (I also don't have a swmbo around).

Even with a brand new 7cf freezer from lowes and a plug in temperature control device, it's fairly inexpensive (about 200) or if you can get a used freezer, less money. See about starting with the fridge/freezer first, style it, collar it, and use it for bottle storage and say it'll keep the full bottles out of the way. ..at least at first..

Run a cost estimate on how much you spend on bottles. Talk about the bottling mess that you can avoid due to kegging. If you have a house that you feel comfortable in and was decorated by the other, say that the other person can help decorate the thing if necessary.

Find whatever other compromises you can make for their hobby.

I put the keezer in the garage. But my wife drinks about 65% of my homebrew so not a lot of convincing needed.

Definitely a combination of everything that has been said. Keep an eye on craig's list. You don't HAVE to buy one, since you currently bottle. So wait until you find a good deal and then jump on it. If you take a look at some of the kegerators/keezers on this forum, plenty of them are nice enough for indoor SWMBO approval. I am no carpenter and mine is sitting just off the living room where we spend most of our time. GF gets "annoyed" when all I talk about is beer, but even she likes the way it looks.

If you mean getting your swmbo to OK it then its just about telling them its important to you and that it will make you happy in addition to cutting down on clutter. I am lucky enough to have a wife that wants me to be happy and knows my hobbies do that( plus she loves apfelwein and big heavy belgians), I am also indulgent of her hobbies( we have lots of yarn)

look on craigslist, local papers/pennysaver, talk to a sears appliance delivery guy.

It was easy: I've been married to the same wonderful woman for 35 years. She totally gets me.

So there's that - plus she really enjoys a good brew! :rockin:

My femto-brewery occupies roughly 160 square feet of our home and consists of two nearly-new 17cf fridges for ferms and cold storage, a few year old 10cf keezer with six T-tower faucets, and a 32cf roll-around cabinet I built for equipment storage. All three chillers were bought off Craig's List and together were just over $300.

She never blinked once...I'm a lucky dood ;)

Cheers!
Pretty much the same story here, but when my keg fridge died she went to Sears and bought me a 13 cu ft chest freezer. My brewery takes 1/2 of the garage plus a room in the garage, but the wife is going to build me a 40'X30" building next spring for my brewhouse/man cave.

I need to remember this thread tomorrow and post a pic of my bar. The secret....let her design it. She picked out the fridges, picked the cabinetry, ect.... More money than I wanted to spend but I wasn't about to say, "no dear, I don't want our bar looking this nice. Let's buy jewelry instead."

I found a Viking kegerator on CL for 100 bucks! All that was wrong is that it was in the off position, lol. She couldnt be mad when i got a 4000 dollar machine for that great a deal.

I told her that I wanted to keep a corny in our main fridge and put a tap through the side. For some reason she thought that was redneck, so when I ended up getting a nice Haier stainless kegerator that I picked up for $100 she approved. Just insist on something hideous for a while then suggest an attractive alternative hehehe.

We are in an 850 square foot apartment and it looks quite nice imo. It is a counter height so I have it as an extension of the kitchen counter and I just got a shiny triple tap so it looks even better now (the haier kegerators can hold 3 cornys and a 10lb co2).

If you mean getting your swmbo to OK it then its just about telling them its important to you and that it will make you happy in addition to cutting down on clutter. I am lucky enough to have a wife that wants me to be happy and knows my hobbies do that

This...

Just do it. If she doesn't want you to be happy, eh, she can be replaced with an upgrade. I've done it.

(Not over beer, but over major disagreements about which one of us should be allowed to be happy, and in what proportion.....)

If SWMBO doesn't value your happiness, then should she really be SWMBO? Assuming that you're expenditures aren't forcing the kids to eat ramen every night, then just go for it. I always just say "by the way, I'm going to do *such and such*". No problems so far.... (But then she trusts me and knows that I put the family first in all cases, so I'm only ever doing that with "fun money"....)

When I bottled I used to use growlers some as big bottles ( mistake because I know now they are not designed for pressure) after the 2nd one exploded I suggested I should get a kegorator. Plus it would take the clutter of all of these bottles away. She said "OK". It was surprisingly easy.

Came home with two brand new Frigidaire mini fridges for 75 bucks a pop from Lowes. Told the wife that we could keep additional food in one and beer/pop in the other. Now one is converted into a kegerator (with extended cold box to hold up to 6 cornies) under the bar and the other is also under the bar filled with beer. No food in sight. :)

How'd you get them for 75, are they on sale?

I was just talking about random stuff with SWMBO one day and the subject of kegerators came up. She was totally into it, and now we are "giving" each other the fridge, parts, and kegs for Christmas! :rockin:

I got lucky, my kegorator was given to me from a friend. I just had to get the proper accessories and a few corny kegs. So it was pretty easy for me to convince SWMBO.

How'd you get them for 75, are they on sale?

I was just talking about random stuff with SWMBO one day and the subject of kegerators came up. She was totally into it, and now we are "giving" each other the fridge, parts, and kegs for Christmas! :rockin:

I go to Lowes at least once a week since it is right across the street from me. They were on clearance/scratch and dent (minor dents in the sides) and didnt have a price tag on them. I asked the floor manager how much, he said they havent came up with a price on them yet. I told him I'd give him 150 for both, he called his supervisor, and said yeah that'll work. Shoved them both in the back of my Honda Accord and away I went.

I would check your HD/Lowes out, but be open to Craigslist. You can get hella steals there. Then spend the money you saved on some nice wood trim/stainless steel faucets/etc.

EDIT: BTW this was about 2 years ago.

Cool, thanks. I've been keeping an eye out CL (via searchtempest, best thing ever?), but haven't seen much for less than 85-100. I figure the prices should drop a bit after college move in's are over. I'll check the local Lowes for any scratch/dents they might have.

Also, I'm planning a through the door build, is this the style you did? If so, what length shanks did you go with?

Thanks for the heads up!

Cool, thanks. I've been keeping an eye out CL (via searchtempest, best thing ever?), but haven't seen much for less than 85-100. I figure the prices should drop a bit after college move in's are over. I'll check the local Lowes for any scratch/dents they might have.

Also, I'm planning a through the door build, is this the style you did? If so, what length shanks did you go with?

Thanks for the heads up!

Nope I went with a tower up into the bartop. For through the door I would go with at least a 2 inch shank, but i guess that all depends on what fridge you end up with and how you install it. I would suggest leaving enough room so that you can mount it to a piece of ply or something ridgid on the inside.

Well, here you go (from earlier in the thread). She picked out what she wanted, I said yes, and now I have a new favorite room in the house.

image-751577673.jpg

For those of you that have been able to convince your spouse that it's a GREAT idea to have a kegerator, how did you finally convince them?

My wife eventually bought me my first keg system for my birthday. Reasons she was on board:

1. Didn't like the bottle floating around (same issue yours had)
2. Didn't like how I would be up all night bottling (more time for honeydo list) and making a mess in the kitchen. The rest of the brewing already moved outside.
3. I pitched I would actually drink less since I could pour only what I wanted, didn't have to crack a whole 12oz bottle. She realized that argument for the crap it was.

After visiting a friend's house and seeing an actual kegerator she green lighted that. I am currently using half our spare fridge.

So.. the lesson there.. the idea of a kegerator springs a lot of things to the wives minds... the reality of, say, a two tap kegerator in a mini-fridge is quite different then the monster beer house with singing frat boys throwing up in the kitchen that springs to their minds. Find someone who has one and arrange for her to see it. They realize:

1. Its quite small
2. It looks kinda nice
3. It does not automatically mean that I will have a bunch of friends over getting trashed and calling strippers every night. So, she got 2 out of 3 right.

Regards,

Chris

Something else to gather from all these posts is that lots of us spent a while getting all this gear together. I have a a 26 cubic foot freezer, 11 kegs, 1 co2 tank, a 6 way air distributor, and I have a big tap tower coming today. i also have one 525ss perlick faucet that I got on the classifieds on here, I will probably end up going with a retailer to fill my needs but I will spend some time looking around first, I need 5 more. I will make do with what I have and continue to build my ideal setup. It might take you 5 months to put it all together if you want to do it the cheaper way.

Look at what basics you would need:

A freezer/fridge with temp control or manipulation of the set screw
Co2 tank and reglator with splitter if you have multiple kegs
Kegs
gas and beer line
cobra picnic taps

With that you would be able to keg beer and serve it.

For me it works, 5 minutes to sanitize a keg, fill it, and hook it up instead of 45 minutes of sanitizing bottles, filling, spilling, and capping. It makes so much more sense.

Try approaching it logically. Set aside some cash and search craigslist once an hour so you can be the one to jump on that killer deal.

also, have her look through all the images in the "show us your kegerator" thread on here. Its got some really great looking setups that might sway her.

use searchtempest.com

I told her that I wanted to keep a corny in our main fridge and put a tap through the side. For some reason she thought that was redneck, so when I ended up getting a nice Haier stainless kegerator that I picked up for $100 she approved. Just insist on something hideous for a while then suggest an attractive alternative hehehe.

We are in an 850 square foot apartment and it looks quite nice imo. It is a counter height so I have it as an extension of the kitchen counter and I just got a shiny triple tap so it looks even better now (the haier kegerators can hold 3 cornys and a 10lb co2).
LOL I like it...hideous idea, then what I want. We have an 1100 sq ft apartment, and that's why I don't see an issue with putting it in the guest bedroom she never goes in.

Something else to gather from all these posts is that lots of us spent a while getting all this gear together. I have a a 26 cubic foot freezer, 11 kegs, 1 co2 tank, a 6 way air distributor, and I have a big tap tower coming today. i also have one 525ss perlick faucet that I got on the classifieds on here, I will probably end up going with a retailer to fill my needs but I will spend some time looking around first, I need 5 more. I will make do with what I have and continue to build my ideal setup. It might take you 5 months to put it all together if you want to do it the cheaper way.

Look at what basics you would need:

A freezer/fridge with temp control or manipulation of the set screw
Co2 tank and reglator with splitter if you have multiple kegs
Kegs
gas and beer line
cobra picnic taps

With that you would be able to keg beer and serve it.

For me it works, 5 minutes to sanitize a keg, fill it, and hook it up instead of 45 minutes of sanitizing bottles, filling, spilling, and capping. It makes so much more sense.

Try approaching it logically. Set aside some cash and search craigslist once an hour so you can be the one to jump on that killer deal.

also, have her look through all the images in the "show us your kegerator" thread on here. Its got some really great looking setups that might sway her.

use searchtempest.com
11 Kegs!!! Wow, I'd be happy with two. Three would make me :ban:

strat_thru_marshall said:
I said "hey baby, im building a kegerator". She said "ok, how many taps will it have?". I have a good wife.

Same here. I just said "hey im gonna buy a chest freezer with the gift card to Lowes you got me and build a kegerator with it" she said that's cool lol

Mine bought me my first keggerator as a x-mas present. God, I love that woman. The keezer came later. Bought a black freezer and stained the collar so she would let it sit next to the original in the family room in the basement. No hard sell here....

Kegerators.jpg

Islandboy85 said:

Mine likes to 'help'-- so I charged her with bottling. After three batches she asked if there was an easier way to do this.

You know what babe--as a matter of fact--there is...

image-3484533171.jpg

Mine likes to 'help'-- so I charged her with bottling. After three batches she asked if there was an easier way to do this.

You know what babe--as a matter of fact--there is...

View attachment 33281
That's a great idea, except mine says "that's your hobby, you bottle it..." Eventually I think I will just go all out and get my kegerator and have to ask for forgiveness as stated earlier by someone who has probably been married way longer than me.

Mine bought me my first keggerator as a x-mas present. God, I love that woman. The keezer came later. Bought a black freezer and stained the collar so she would let it sit next to the original in the family room in the basement. No hard sell here....

I have a great wife too. I asked Santa for a kegging system and When I woke up Christmas morning it was there. I was drilling the hole that night....It sure helps to have a supportive wife and she doesn't even drink beer.

I have a great wife too. I asked Santa for a kegging system and When I woke up Christmas morning it was there. I was drilling the hole that night....It sure helps to have a supportive wife and she doesn't even drink beer.

For the kegerator or :eek:??

To convince my wife I casually suggested a new fridge for the kitchen...never guess what happened to the old fridge :) Of course she then had to have a new stove too.

My first dual tap kegerator I found on craigslist and that took a bit of convincing to my wife...she has always tried to support me, but she didn't see the value in it.

After having that for about 6 months or so, it started getting really loud...especially for being in the dining room right off the kitchen. I showed her a couple of the keezers here on the forums and thought I would have to bait her in

...her response " as long as its quieter than that thing, go ahead"

Now I have this...

ForumRunner_20110913_004757.jpg

Craigslist app for android or iPhone. Instantly alerts you when something you're searching for becomes available. I got my freezer and kegerator like that for good deals.

Agentaaron said:
My first dual tap kegerator I found on craigslist and that took a bit of convincing to my wife...she has always tried to support me, but she didn't see the value in it.

After having that for about 6 months or so, it started getting really loud...especially for being in the dining room right off the kitchen. I showed her a couple of the keezers here on the forums and thought I would have to bait her in

...her response " as long as its quieter than that thing, go ahead"

Now I have this...

You mean you had an almost totally open-ended "okay", and you only added ONE tap?!

Back