What was your first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbaca

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone's first brew was. Mine is a pale ale that is finishing right now. I still have one week left before I can chill it.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Home Brew mobile app

Hefeweizen. Fermented hot and was pretty heavy on the citrus. Not horrible.

#1 was an IPA, still bottle conditioning.
Just bought ingredients for #2 which will be a honey porter.

Extract Pale Ale that came with my beginners kit. Tasted so malty and caramel. Didn't care for it, but was impressed with how easy it was. Quickly went into all grain because I wanted more freedom in recipe choice.

Autumn Amber Ale from Midwest Supplies.

How was that? I saw it on their site and thought it might be good to make for next fall.

My first is currently in primary, almost ready for bottling. Honey Brown Ale from Jasper's.

How was that? I saw it on their site and thought it might be good to make for next fall.

My first is currently in primary, almost ready for bottling. Honey Brown Ale from Jasper's.

It was delicious. I guess it's close to an american amber.

Brewer's Best Red Ale, bottling day is Saturday (had some trouble finding a temp-stable area to ferment, so I left it in primary for an extra week).

A Bavarian Weissbier that I'll be bottling tomorrow. Took a final hydrometer reading yesterday and tasted it, it was flat but tasted good.

Brewer's Best Red Ale, I added a little honey as bottling, it tasted great until I got all gushers from the over carbonation..lol... You live and learn. I changed to all grain after a few kits, haven't looked back since!!

Brewer's Best Red Ale, I added a little honey as bottling, it tasted great until I got all gushers from the over carbonation..lol... You live and learn. I changed to all grain after a few kits, haven't looked back since!!

Speaking of adding honey, when did you add it in, the last 5 minutes of the boil or while your wort was cooling?

Sent from my VS930 4G using Home Brew mobile app

Mine was an ordinary bitter. It was... ordinary. Not particularly outstanding, but it didn't have any major technical flaws. It came out perhaps a little bland, which I countered a bit with a last minute dry hop. Still not sure that was the right decision.

Mine was also an ordinary bitter. It was a boxed kit, a mistake that I never made again. It was fairly obvious that the ingredients were a little stale. The next one was an Oatmeal Stout, the kit was made up fresh, and wow what a difference freshness makes. The bitter was not quite as good as a Bass, but I saw that if I improved I would eventually get there.

Ha ha. Mine was a Mr. Beer kit I got for christmas a while back.

Totally killed the yeast packet it came with on accident and ended up using bread yeast. Surprisingly it didn't turn out to bad.

Brewer's Best Oktoberfest. I brewed it on Saturday and can hardly wait! I will never know why I waited so long to start.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Brewer's Best American Ale kit. Turned out OK. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just wasn't that great. Kinda bland I guess but it tasted like beer! I have my second batch fermenting right now, an Oatmeal Stout that I have high hope for!

True Brew Amber Ale kit that had been sitting on the shelf at my LHBS for Bob knows how long. It turned out horribly. My second batch was a Brewer's Best Imperial Blonde Ale kit and that came out fantastic. Still one of my favorite kits.

Mine was a Mr Beer kit as well as my wife got a Mr Beer homebrew kit for me for Christmas as a gag gift. The kit was very old and the American Ale HME that came with it I am convinced was made when the civil war was still occurring.
The beer was probably the most horrible beer I have ever had. To this day, I am surprised I made another batch after that, but I did. It actually prompted me to dig in and figure out how to brew and brew good beer.

my first ext kit came with the equip kit that my kids got me one Christmas .. it was either Irish Ale or Irish Draught from NB. The beer tasted fine (for a first go 'round) but there was no head retention and truly funky carbonation in the bottle

it started me on a never ending quest to "make it better next time." that quest should last me 'til I die. if I can make it last beyond the grave I will let you all know :)

Mr. Beer American Light that I got as a Christmas gift. I made that, and never ordered a second Mr. Beer kit. I still use my LBK though. It's great for test batches or throwing together a quick batch of cider.

My first brew was an all grain German Pilsner. I purchased a bunch of equipment off craigslist, the seller didn't have the time to brew. So I scored a couple of kettles, carboys and a Kegerator. I was able to ferment in the kegerator and transfer to a keg for lagering. Turned out great! I've been hooked ever since. I have since upgraded pots, pieces and process over the years but the kegerator is still in use.

I had this thing back in the 90s called the beer machine. I believe they still sell it. Ferment and serve in same vessel. I probably did a porter or something from that. So, officially, that was my first beer. Then I gave up on it for quite a few years when I got my kegerator and just bought beer. Eventually, with the cost of kegs going from $50/half barrel in the early '00s to now over $100, I decided to get back into it, convert my kegerator to 3 taps and get the stuff to do full 5 gallon batches.

I brewed a Brewers Best American Amber Ale. I thought I did enough research, but still missed the whole "Room Temp is NOT fermentation temp thing." It certainly was drinkable and the next 2 got even better. for the 4th beer, I brewed the BB Amber again and this time it was actually a damn good beer.

London Porter from Austin homebrew. It was a partial mash and came out pretty good. So sad that I only have 6 bottles left :(

My 1st was the Cooper's OS Lager kit that came with my Microbrew set. Came out great,but def needed some flavor hops. I'm into pb/pm biab now,& still use a Cooper's can as the extract now & then. It'd be easy & cheap to make a cascade pale ale out of the OS lager can & a box of their brew enhancer.

My favorite beer at the time was Founders' Dirty Bastard, so my first brew was a BIAB Scottish 60+ from Brewing Classic Styles. I say 60+ because I underestimated the efficiency and ended up somewhat high for that style. The beer turned out really well, my kegging process on the other hand, needed some help. My dad got a couple regulators for CO2 from work and as it turns out, they were secondaries, but we couldn't figure out why they kept blowing. That beer ended up spraying across his driveway, ATV, garage, and truck... It blew the tap completely off of the hose and went wild. We did manage to salvage a few pints from the keg and they were quite tasty, albeit too few.

Latest posts

Back