What varieties prefer less sun? Is there a guide somewhere?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are certain varieties that would prefer less sun exposure that other hops. For the most part you hear that get them as much sun as possible but then I have heard of some that like some shade.

I am wondering because I have limitations both with my yard and what the SWMBO will agree to. I have the perfect spot, but the SWMBO doesn't want a big O'l pole sticking out of the ground there. So anyways, I have 5 different varieties spread out along this:

P1040847s.jpg

Then I have 3 cascades that I placed against the house on the north side, but am noticing that they do not get much of any sun where they are and have not sprouted in over 2 weeks being there. I am wondering if any of my other hops could be switched to that shaded spot.

I have Perle, Chinook, centennial, magnum and Willamette going from left to right on the trellis I built in the picture above.

My second idea is to place the 3 cascades on the fence to the right of the trellis and attach a 4x4 to the fence and have twine come down for them to climb, they will get quite a bit of sun there, but won't be as ascetically pleasing as the other way.

What do you think?

Sunbeam is the only hop I know of that does well in partial sun. It's a Saaz-hybrid.

Ok, that is what I thought I might hear.

Well, I planted 1 cascade over on the fence and am going to do a experiment to see how long it takes to sprout over there. My guess is about 5 days and if the others that are in the old spot still haven't come up....well there is my answer.

How much does indirect light help compared to the sun just beaming directly onto the plant?

For example in a hop yard when it is growing and the hops are up a ways, how much light is really getting down to the ground or is it just that it is beaming onto the leafs and the whole photosynthesis thing is happening that way?

Sunbeam is the only hop I know of that does well in partial sun. It's a Saaz-hybrid.

So I lucked into putting my saaz in the partinal sun part of my yard?

four of five of my hops have sprouted; the only that hasnt is the saaz which is right up against the house facing northwest. It only gets about two hours of sun a day.

For cone production you really need 8 hours direct sun daily and need 140-160 days of growth.

In a hop yard the plants get full sun until they grow all the way up the strings, and then the crowns are still getting the sun

Back