Hops too far gone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Work kept me from harvesting my hops when I should have, then lots of rain. I know these are a little past their prime, but wonder is worth harvesting.

Pictured are a fraction on what is on vines. This is Cascade, most of the other varieties are even browner, and clearly not worth it. It is not like I can't afford to buy hops, and do not want to use less than decent hops in my beer.

Is it worth harvesting, drying and vacuum packing these?
IMG_2304.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 9
From what I can see in the picture the lupulin seems to be bright yellow instead of a darker orange. That's a good sign. How do they smell? If they have a hoppy aroma and you can tell they are Cascades I.E. a bit of citrus then yes although my Cascades aren't very aromatic. How do they feel, paper rattle when squeezed, do they spring back, then yes. The cones don't seem to be opened much (maybe due to the rain you had) but they are browning. Tough to say, my Cascades typically brown in some areas of the plant even when other areas aren't ready.

Personally I check the hops around this time every few days or so and do sensory and hop tea tests.

You have some choices:
1. Sensory test: I.E. how do they look, feel and smell? How and When to Harvest Hops
2. Drying test: Harvest time approaching for hop growers
3. Hop tea: Take a couple cones with about 4oz. of water and steep for 5 - 10 mins @ 180* F - boiling. Do you smell and taste what you would expect with a Cascade variety hop?

Yours look very similar to my cascade right now. I look for a little browning and a papery springy feel. The papery feel not quite there enough yet, but I’ll monitor daily now and likely pick in the next few days. So yours may very well be fine. If they still have a nice aroma that’s a good sign too.

Latest posts

Back