What types of beer can I make with Wheat DME??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhound002

Reaction score
Still green to the homebrewing experience, only a couple wheats under my belt. Last batch was a partial mash, woo! Anywho, I have about 2lbs of wheat DME leftover from the last batch and wanting to branch out a bit. I enjoy most types of beer, but wanting a session beer for spring. If I add some other types of DME with the leftover wheat DME, what are some different styles of beer I can brew? I would like to attempt an amber ale but is that compatible? I could comb through recipes but I am feeling a little lazy and would like other input.

Thanks all!

Cody

An amber with a bit of wheat would definitely be possible. Many session beers use a little wheat because its proteins add a nice fullness to the body, and smaller beers otherwise can sometimes be a bit thin. I like a little wheat in APAs, for example. I wouldn't worry too much though. It'll be pretty easy to use 2 lbs of extract over the course of a few beers.

Wheat DME is typically 65% wheat 35% Barley which would be on par for a Hefe.

I'm with motorneuron. I add wheat to a lot of beer styles especially when I'm brewing a dry IPA. My water doesn't favor light beer styles so adding wheat gives it more mouthfeel.

Wheat DME is typically 65% wheat 35% Barley which would be on par for a Hefe.

I'm with motorneuron. I add wheat to a lot of beer styles especially when I'm brewing a dry IPA. My water doesn't favor light beer styles so adding wheat gives it more mouthfeel.

Actually, it's reversed. The majority of the DME is barley, and the smaller percentage is wheat.

2 pounds of wheat DME would work in many beer styles, from IPAs to American ambers and more. I often use a pound of wheat in my pale ales to get great head retention, after someone on this forum telling me a few years ago that it was a must (and he was right!). Two pounds of wheat DME as a portion of the extract would be fine and the rest can be made up of light or extra light DME.

I've just cracked my blueberry berliner Weiss. You could easily make a little batch of that. Just a vial of lacto, an envelope of S-05 and some patience and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All of those sounds amazing. I am probably going to work the kinks out on some sort of Amber, just wanted to make sure it wasn't blasphemy! Haha

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Back