Single step infusion for wind malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingWisdom

Reaction score
Hi
As some of you probably know a wind malt is a type of old malt (rare these days) which is not kilned one.The green malt is used dried using the wind and sun dried to dry the grain before it's converted into grist.
Now as regards to mashing there is plenty of confusion I got when I read through different sources. Some say it's suitable for step mashing and decoction. But as a noob I only know and have the equipment for single step infusion. My question is will the wind malt works fine in single step infusion? Also mine will be wheat wind malt , so the mashing temperature and duration is same as barley malt?
I've already spoiled three batches before so this is probably my last attempt of learning to brew a beer at home lol. So please give me a solid and credible info if you want the beer brewing to stay with me 😁
Cheers 🍺 🍻

In general, the malts that "need" a step mash that includes a protein rest are under-modified malts. They need it because their protein matrix has not yet been sufficiently broken down.

Under-modified malts are pretty uncommon these days. Can you get the specs for your malt? If so, look for a Kolbach Index (or "KI" or "Soluble Nitrogen Ratio" or "SN/TN" or "S/T"). A number of less than 36 is generally considered under-modified. (Note: If you see "Windisch-Kolbach," that's something different.)

Wind Malt is also pretty uncommon. It's barley (or wheat, etc.) that has been malted, but not kilned. Note that the degree of modification is not related to whether or not the malt has been kilned or how long it has been kilned (contrary to somewhat popular belief). Degree of modification is a result of how long the barley was allowed to germinate.

So, is Wind Malt generally under-modified? Maybe. From a practical standpoint, it would depend on your particular wind malt. If you can't get the specs for your malt, and if the supplier doesn't know, etc., it might be safer to assume it's undermodified. When I've seen Wind Malt available for sale, it has been from boutique maltsters who tout that it's under-modified. But that's a choice the maltster made, and not a requirement for wind malt.

In general, the malts that "need" a step mash that includes a protein rest are under-modified malts. They need it because their protein matrix has not yet been sufficiently broken down.

Under-modified malts are pretty uncommon these days. Can you get the specs for your malt? If so, look for a Kolbach Index (or "KI" or "Soluble Nitrogen Ratio" or "SN/TN" or "S/T"). A number of less than 36 is generally considered under-modified. (Note: If you see "Windisch-Kolbach," that's something different.)

Wind Malt is also pretty uncommon. It's barley (or wheat, etc.) that has been malted, but not kilned. Note that the degree of modification is not related to whether or not the malt has been kilned or how long it has been kilned (contrary to somewhat popular belief). Degree of modification is a result of how long the barley was allowed to germinate.

So, is Wind Malt generally under-modified? Maybe. From a practical standpoint, it would depend on your particular wind malt. If you can't get the specs for your malt, and if the supplier doesn't know, etc., it might be safer to assume it's undermodified. When I've seen Wind Malt available for sale, it has been from boutique maltsters who tout that it's under-modified. But that's a choice the maltster made, and not a requirement for wind malt.
Dude I am from Pakistan and here definitely there is no malt , hombrewers markets and choices you have over there.
I can't get the malt specs like you , the only thing I know is that the wheat grain I got is being used for bread making. It's sprouted with acrospire. Now decide yourself whether it's modified or under-modified.

Dude I am from Pakistan and here definitely there is no malt , hombrewers markets and choices you have over there.
I can't get the malt specs like you , the only thing I know is that the wheat grain I got is being used for bread making. It's sprouted with acrospire. Now decide yourself whether it's modified or under-modified.

Actually, you're confirming that there is some malt. If you're getting wheat that has already been sprouted and dried, it's malt. As I said, if you can't get specs, it may be safer to assume that it's undermodified. Especially if, as you added, it was originally intended for bread making. I can't think of a reason for that to be well modified. Is the sprouting accidental?

ETA: Re-reading this thread, something is unclear. Is your supplier calling this Wind Malt, or is that your interpretation of what it is, or are you malting it yourself? If the latter, you can modify it to whatever degree you want.

Actually, you're confirming that there is some malt. If you're getting wheat that has already been sprouted and dried, it's malt. As I said, if you can't get the specs, it may be safer to assume that it's undermodified. Especially if, as you added, it was originally intended for bread making. I can't think of a reason for that to be well modified. Is the sprouting accidental?
No lol it's not accidental its intentional.

No lol it's not accidental its intentional.

Re-reading this thread, something is unclear. Is your supplier calling this Wind Malt, or is that your interpretation of what it is, or are you malting it yourself? If the latter, you can modify it to whatever degree you want.

Re-reading this thread, something is unclear. Is your supplier calling this Wind Malt, or is that your interpretation of what it is, or are you malting it yourself? If the latter, you can modify it to whatever degree you want.
I am malting a wheat grain myself.
The way I am malting is called wind malt.
Just a wheat grain for bread making I bought from a local mill.

Excellent. Then you can modify the malt to whatever degree you want. I'd aim for acrospires that are, on average, at least 75% of the length of the acrospire. Good Luck.

Excellent. Then you can modify the malt to whatever degree you want. I'd aim for acrospires that are, on average, at least 75% of the length of the acrospire. Good Luck.
But the question which still remains is. For this type of wind wheat malt the single infusion mash would work just fine like other barley malts?

You can do a step mash with a single infusion setup. Start with very thick mash for the first step. Add boiling hot water to bring temperature up for additional steps. How much hot water to add will depend somewhat on your setup

But the question which still remains is. For this type of wind wheat malt the single infusion mash would work just fine like other barley malts?
Yes, if sufficiently modified. But if you want to do a protein rest, go ahead. It won't ruin your beer.

Back