What Type of Wine Corks should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezeari

Reaction score
I attempted to buy wine corks from our small wine supply shop a couple of months ago in preparation for corking later in December. The clerk asked me what kind of corker I had as he said,"some types of corks are better for certain types of corkers?" I didn't have a corker at that time so did not purchase any corks. Since then I have purchased a beautiful Portuguese Red floor corker. Before I go back to the store, I wanted to ask the group in your opinion, are there any specific corks for this unit, or do most types work well for a regular wine bottle? Also I have quite a few used screw cap bottles. I am hoping to use corks on these?

Last edited:
You will want #8 or #9 corks. My hand corker can handle both but the 8's go in easier. With a floor Corker you can do 9's with no problem.

Used corks from my wine shop and a rubber mallet work for me. Vodka bath and hammer.
Strain the vodka clean of debris and drink it[emoji847][emoji2960]

Using #8's with my Ferrari hand corker [emoji111]

You guys use a corker? I just use my outrageously buff arms to easily push them into the bottle. Two, sometimes three at a time.

JK...#9s and a floor corker work fine over here.

I've gone through 200 of these, not a single leaker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064GW1H4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

upload_2019-12-17_17-11-19.png

Back