What type of water filter should I buy? Lab Report Included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strahmhv

Reaction score
So from what I've seen, our mineral levels and alkalinity here are pretty high right? When I put my profile into Bru N water, everything is basically already too high to do anything with. What type of filter would you guys recommend so I can end up with workable water.

Here is my water profile

pH 8.1

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 750

Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 1.25

Cations / Anions, me/L 11.9 / 12.7

ppm

Sodium, Na 124

Potassium, K 5

Calcium, Ca 78

Magnesium, Mg 30

Total Hardness, CaCO3 320

Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)

Sulfate, SO4-S 104

Chloride, Cl 112

Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0

Bicarbonate, HCO3 179

Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 149

Total Phosphorus, P < 0.01

Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Thank you for any help given.

I see I can add just under 1.0 ml/gallon to my mash ph down to 5.3 and my alkalinity near 0, but other than that I'm somewhat lost. I'll continue researching as much as possible but any help from someone with expertise in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Reverse Osmosis is the only way your going to get good brewing water from that water. I believe Stone Brewing blends RO water with regular filtered water to there desired profile. Good luck with the brewery.

Thanks for the help guys and gals... this is kind of what we figured vut wanted to make sure before forking over 3000 for a 1200gpd ro system

So. Cal. notoriously has hard water. I would use RO and build. Most of all, congrats on your brewery and best of luck!

So. Cal. notoriously has hard water. I would use RO and build. Most of all, congrats on your brewery and best of luck!

Thanks, the water we get from the colorado river runs a long ways to get here and is inevitably hard and salty. We fight it in farming with sulfur additions to loosen up the ground periodically.

Back