What type of tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up something like 15 feet of Polyethylene tubing from Home Depot for under $10. It's stiffer than that clear plastic tubing but doesn't get soft with high heat like clear plastic tubing. I recommend it.

I really like the silicone. I tried the thermoplastic, but preferred the silicone because you can see into the tubing.

silicone from bargainfittings for me and it doesn't seem to get to soft under high temps and I like being able to see the wort traveling around. I also like that I can use some zip ties to keep it on the barbs and it doesn't chew up the tubing at all. The expensive stuff turns out to be not much more expensive when you only have to buy stuff once as opposed to replacing cheaper stuff once or twice

You can boil the silicone tubing. You could even autoclave it if you had the equipment.

To Sterilize Silicone Tubing

* High-speed instrument (flash) autoclave: Place tubing on nonlinting cloth or sterilizing paper in a clean, open tray for 10 minutes at 270 deg F (132 deg C) at 30 psi (2 kg/sqcm).
* Standard gravity autoclave: Wrap tubing in nonlinting cloth or sterilizing paper and place in a clean, open tray for 30 minutes at 250 deg F (121 deg C) at 15 psi (1 kg/cm2).
* Prevacuum high-temperature autoclave: Wrap tubing in nonlinting cloth or sterilizing paper and place in a clean, open tray for normal cycle of 30-35 minutes at 250 deg F (121 deg C).
* Gamma radiation.

Back