What type of hops would you recommend for ale; Nugget, Willamette, or Mt. Hood?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karn

Reaction score
I would like to grow my own hops in northeast Michigan. I'm new to beer, but have been making wine for years. Thank you for your suggestions and advice.

I would like to grow my own hops in northeast Michigan. I'm new to beer, but have been making wine for years. Thank you for your suggestions and advice.
I would say nugget would be your most versatile. Higher alpha so you can use to bitter. Has some true “hop” character. Earthy, resinous, floral. I like it a lot.

Willamette would be a good choice to but has a very low alpha % so won’t work well for bittering. That said it will work well in many different styles

I’d suggest Nugget and Willamette, the former for bittering, the latter for later additions. Both are pretty neutral, or “clean”, in that both will balance the maltiness of the grain nicely without adding any really pronounced hop flavors.

You might also consider Magnum as a bittering hop. High AA (14%, or so) and similarly neutral. Magnum and Willamette are pretty much my go to hop combo for any ale which isn’t hop forward.

Here's a differing opinion: Grow hops for flavor and most importantly aroma.

You won't know what your AA is, so use commercial hops for bittering where that matters. Your hops will be fresher than anything you can buy, leverage that for aroma and flavor.

(ETA: Some of my Siri keyboard edits were horrible!)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. A thread just for abbreviations might be helpful! Don't know what AA is, pretty sure it's not Alcoholics Anonymous.

English Ale or American Ale. @LBussy i think is correct. Without knowing the Alpha Acids you can be throwing darts with the IBUs (bittering hops) and homegrown would be great for aroma (and flavor but be careful if you can’t cool your beer quickly, those flavor additions can become bittering).

English ales don’t usually use flavoring or aroma additions. Americans are hop heads and our ales can go to the extreme with late hop additions. I’m not sure the hops you mention would be at top of flavor and dry hop additions

Nugget is a big Alpha Acid hop so It can throw off a lot of bitter I would be hesitant to use it as flavoring hop. My Hood is more nuetral but not known for the typical flavors and aromas typical of American Ales. It’s resiny and that might be interesting as a flavoring hop
Willamttte is spicy floral fruity and a little earthy. Of the three this is the one I’d grow. It’s typical for British ales. Yet what the heck.

Citra Amarillo Cascade Chinook Perle and Centennial are just a few that I see being used as flavoring and aroma hops in American ales.

C hops! In this order: Chinook, CTZ, Centennial, Cascade. Sorry, I know that disregards your question but those are what I’d grow (and the first three, I do grow)

When using homegrown hops, or any hops of know variety, but unknown AA in the boil or whirlpool, I look up the AA range, and use the middle of that range for my calculations. Like LBussy suggested above, I try to only use hops with known AA for the main bittering charge.

Michigan-grown Chinook is delightful. Just throwing that out there.

I personally despise Nugget (I just don't like the character and would sooner bitter with other hops). Willamette and Mt. Hood are both great, but are more American varietals with more European character (Willamette more English and Mt Hood more continental). Depending on what you look to brew (or at this point, like to drink), let that guide you. If you want to brew more typical American styles (especially if you wanna brew hazy IPAs) I'd choose different hop.

Willamette and Mt. Hood both have a nice character, but it all depends on the style of ale, and what type of hops character you want in your beer. Look at the profiles of the hops you're considering, and decide if you want those qualities in your beer.

Great lakes hops it a great source for plants. I took a bit of a different approach. I planted some weird hops that i could not buy (at least easily) commercially. right now i have a Santium, Viking, and Vojvodina.

What flavors are you looking for from these hops? The three you list have different character and would be best suited for certain styles. All three could have broad application but if you have specific interests it might make more sense to pick one over the other two.

What flavors are you looking for from these hops? The three you list have different character and would be best suited for certain styles. All three could have broad application but if you have specific interests it might make more sense to pick one over the other two.
I don't know what flavor I'm seeking. I'm new at this. I do like Short's Bellaire Brown. I just made my first batch of beer and am not crazy about the taste (Amber Block Party). I am able to order these three hops, so was looking for some advice.

Don't take this the wrong way - but it sounds as if you might do better just choosing a hardy hop and enjoying that first. I totally get the desire to brew with something. It's my experience however that growing hops is its own reward. Start easy.

+1 for what LBussy said. It doesn't matter what hops you like, if they don't grow well where you are. Look at varieties that are hardy, and grow well in your region. Then choose one or more of those varieties that have a character you like. I mean both growth character and bittering/flavor/aroma character. Many craft brewers list hops they use in their beers, which can give you some idea about character of those hops, if you taste the beers they are used in.

I would say buy a small amount of each hop and brew a small extract batch with each and see which one you like. A lot of hop varieties will grow just fine in Michigan and if there's some particular hop character you like in a hop that won't grow there then look for alternatives that are close. A lot of the older public hops were bred to replicate the character of European hops with durability in American growing regions.

Chinook grows like a champ. Vojvodina is pretty cool too and unlikely to be found at your lhbs. I'm also a fan of fresh off the bine Zeus(CTZ). If for some reason the 3 you mentioned are the ones available to you and you want to just pick one, I'd lean towards the mt hood mostly because it's a bit off the beaten path these days and less likely to be fresh at the lhbs.

Back