What type of honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of honey DO you or WOULD you use in beer?

• wildflower honey?

• clover honey?

• orange blosson honey?

Results are only viewable after voting.

goodbyebluesky82

Reaction score
I've done searches around here on the subject, but found little to nothing about what KIND of honey people are using in homebrew.

Sure, the mead forum has some opinionating on the merits of different types of honey, but what about when it comes to BEER?

The guy who put together my order for me at the LHBS today rec'd wildflower honey over their clover honey. He said clover is a bit too "grassy" to him. I got the wildflower, and have really no idea what to expect. I'm curious what kind of honey people here have used, or typically use. Thanks.

My father-in-law is a bee keeper and I take what he gives me. I figure if I can't tell a difference in it on a biscuit, I'm not going to notice it in my honey ale.

Were I a commercial brewer and I had to be consistent, perhaps I'd worry about it.

depends on the flavor I wanted. You really can tell the difference based on the type of flower. Their is a local honey producer here, and their Star Thistle honey is AMAZING.

I'd try the honey you want to use first, and make sure it has the flavor you want. You likely won't notice as much of the flavor in a beer as you would in a mead since it is less of the fermentables, but it still matters.

Back