What to use to control Ferm Temps???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salukibrew

Reaction score
Fellow Brew Crew,

I am continually trying to adjust my fermentation system to be able to control my ferm temps within only about 1-2 degrees off of recommended yeast ferm temps. Where I am currently at in the system is using a Johnson Controls digital temp controller to control the compressor of my keggorator. This seems to work perfectly and produce great results. The only problem is I cant keep my kegs in there to serve while ferming. I think from here I am going to purchase a larger chest freezer and move temp controller and ferm vessels over there to reclaim my kegging/ dispensing space. However I am not outside of the realm of building a awesome DIY ferm box or other contraption.

I would be interested and very gracious for anyone who could share what they have done to continue controlling ferm temps and making amazing beer.

On Deck: Peppered Peach Saison
Primary: Punxsutawney Phil IPA
Secondary: Bad Bad Leroy Brown (India Brown)
Kegged: Super Bowl Stout, Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Logan's Lager (Big Muddy)
Bottled: Super Bowl Stout

I use a chest freezer with a two stage controller. The controller i have is the love ts something or other. I connect the freezer obviously for the cooling, and I've got two stick on terrarium heaters on the inside for the heat. I also have a computer fan running to keep the temp constant. This works very well. It's in my garage and i can ferment a saison at 80 plus degrees with the ambient temp below zero.

I have an old fridge I got from a friend for free I then built a two stage temp controller stc 1000 only cost about 20 bucks on amazon.I plug the refrigerator into the cooling stage and a small space heater I got off amazon for about 11 bucks. I tape the temp probe to the side of the fermenter and cover it it bubble wrap to insulate it. Can maintain less than half a degree C for the length of my ferment

Back