What to look for in a microscope for observing yeasts and bacterias?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
The title is not clear, I mean in short "what microscope to buy?" as I would like to buy a microscope but I don't know what characteristics to look for except that I want good reviews or trusted quality, that it can be charged by USB or used with batteries and it should have price of maximum 150$ but if lower would be great too. Any recommendations?

You need a 400x for counting yeast and 1000x oil immersion for bacteria. A brightfield that is 110v powered is what I use. Got it from Science and surplus for 350$. Not as good of optics as the more expensive ones. Buy the best you can afford because I don't think most will upgrade this tool, so you need the best for your first one.

You need a 400x for counting yeast and 1000x oil immersion for bacteria. A brightfield that is 110v powered is what I use. Got it from Science and surplus for 350$. Not as good of optics as the more expensive ones. Buy the best you can afford because I don't think most will upgrade this tool, so you need the best for your first one.

What means 1000x oil immersion, if I get magnification at 1500x, would it be enough or is that a specific technology or simply magnification 1000x with added oil? I have thought to buy this one, would that be good https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K2LAXY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If it s only possible in your price range I might consider a very cheap x600 magnification to just observe and count yeast and later go with more pro. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The lens is touching the oil and I think it makes things clearer. Not a micro dude,but i did stay at a Hoiday Inn Express.....LOL. Took a course at local collage and the professor suggested the 400 to 1000 brightfield, mine has binocular eye piece but monocular would be good. mine also is of hobby quality and it is not as clear as the ones at the collage level.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lens is touching the oil and I think it makes things clearer. Not a micro dude,but i did stay at a Hoiday Inn Express.....LOL. Took a course at local collage and the professor suggested the 400 to 1000 brightfield, mine has binocular eye piece but monocular would be good. mine also is of hobby quality and it is not as clear as the ones at the collage level.

I miss the scope I used to use at monsanto :\ Thing was a beast. Fortunately for looking at yeast you dont need something too crazy.

You'd be safe to start off with a AmScope with mag up to 1000x for both cell counting, gram strains, viability tests and close ups. Immersion oil is for the objectives that will actually touch the slide cover. You place a drop on the slide and then when the objective comes in contact with the immersion oil it causes a clearer image at high magnifications.

You'd be safe to start off with a AmScope with mag up to 1000x for both cell counting, gram strains, viability tests and close ups. Immersion oil is for the objectives that will actually touch the slide cover. You place a drop on the slide and then when the objective comes in contact with the immersion oil it causes a clearer image at high magnifications.

Thank you for this clarification!

Back