what to expect the first year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
I ordered some rhizomes and I am planning to put them in a 5 gallon bucket that has holes in the bottom, bury the bucket so about 2 inches of bucket is sticking out and then cover with mulch. How tall will the vines get the first year? Will a 5 ft tomato cage be enough for the first year?

Linc

Oh yea, I'm in Michigan so I probably won't be able to plant the roots until closer to May if I want to avoid future frosts.

I planted mine in a low-sun location last year and they got pretty tall---they climbed my 8-foot trellis. It's the second year that you'll see it really take off. My second-year plants are currently growing several inches a day. Depending on how sunny it is and how healthy the rhizomes are, you may not be able to get away with the 5 fott tomato cage, though...

Makes them easier to move next year and controls the root system. As long as they get good drainage through the bucket, it should work just fine.

I'm just wondering how big they get in 1 year.

A tomato cage will not be enough if the vines are in partial to full sun. Mine grew at least 12 feet the first year.

My dad planted some in Illinois, so a fairly similar climate (he started them indoors), and he said a couple of them are already 1'+ tall. So I doubt a tomato cage will work.

Tomato cage will NOT work. Mine are like 2 weeks old and laready close to 2'. I left them outside overnight in sub-freezing temps, and they are just fine. Time to plant!

Depends on the variety;
Few years ago I planted:
Cascade-grew 8-10 feet, and I harvested 6-8 ounces.
Goldings-grew less than 2 feet, no cones.
Hallertau-grew 6-8 feet, no cones.

Since then,
Cascade have produced every year.
Goldings-grew less than 2 feetZ, no cones. eventually died out.
Hallertau-grew 6-8 feet, tiny cones, no harvest.

Now I'll admit I pretty much neglected them-no fertilizer, no water (rain only) even stopped brewing for a few years, and started back up this past year.
So last Fall I split the Cascade and planted in the Goldings spot. I also got 4 more varieties, so I'm hoping to havest enough to brew with this year.

Latest posts

Back