What to do with a retired bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
I have a bottling bucket that I'm retiring from brewing, since it's kind of old at this point, stained, and I just wanted to get a new one. I hate to throw it away, so does anyone have any cool ideas for what to do with a retired bottling bucket? I was actually thinking of making a lot of sauerkraut in it, since I've been wanting to do that for awhile.

I keep mine in the passenger seat with a wig over top so I can use carpool lanes or throw them at unruly drivers. Nothing says 'be a more courteous driver sir' like a wigged bottling bucket off your windshield.

Start a container garden. 5Gallons is perfect for a medium sized tomato plant. Put some holes/gravel at the bottom then dirt and tomato plant.

I put mine in the wheel barrel, filled with liquid fertilizer.

I strategically fertilize my garden and bushes and shrubs with the appropriate attached hose.

I put a kitchen garbage can bag in it and shovel my spent grain into it. Then chuck the bag of grain.

Make traditional MLF kraut, use it for brining large pieces of meat, or for soaking/brining corn on the cob. Maybe make pickled sausages, stir up some witches' brew in it this Halloween. Mix up 5 gallons of jungle juice for your next party. Seems to me something made of food grade plastic ought to be used for food, but then you can use it for anything you want. Regards, GF.

Use it to make laundry soap.
$5 and lasts 2-3 months.

2.5 gallons Water (hot)
1 Bar ZOTE soap (grated)
3/4 cup Washing Soda
3/4 cup Borax
2 TBS Glycerin

Melt bar soap over medium-low heat topped with water, stir until soap is melted.
In a large bucket, pour 2.5 gallons of hot water, add melted soap mixture, washing soda, borax and glycerin. Mix well.
Use 1/2 cup per full load.

Use it to make laundry soap.
$5 and lasts 2-3 months.

2.5 gallons Water (hot)
1 Bar ZOTE soap (grated)
3/4 cup Washing Soda
3/4 cup Borax
2 TBS Glycerin

Melt bar soap over medium-low heat topped with water, stir until soap is melted.
In a large bucket, pour 2.5 gallons of hot water, add melted soap mixture, washing soda, borax and glycerin. Mix well.
Use 1/2 cup per full load.

Less money on laundry soap = more money for beer

EoinMag said:
Use it to store grains in, means plugging the hole and also getting a lid for it.

What is the best way to plug the hole. I want to use mine for storing grain.

Latest posts

Back