What to do with a high FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I posted this a few days ago on the thread related to Biermunchers reicpe for the "Captain Hooked ESB", but it didn't get any views - must not be too much traffic on that thread, so I'm reposting here for advice..

Guys/Gals -
Question on this one.. Tomorrow I'm at 3 weeks in the fermenter. I took a Hydro sample today.. Its at FG of 1.022 - high considering the recipe, but ZERO activity in the 2ndary currently. That's about 62% attenuation. My OG was 1.057.

Original recipe suggests a OG of 1.052, FG of 1.013, so my OG was higher too, but I'm not sure how that relates to my higher FG. It tastes great, but I'm concerned about this FG. I aimed for 157 for the mash, but may have been a degree higher, but I don't think it was much more than that.

I didn't use a starter and I used Wyeast 1098 - attenuation supposed to be in the 70ish range. The Activator pack was very sluggish to swell and the primary fermentation seemed slow to start.

Have any advice? Call it good and bottle, or try to get it to finish out more? Once I put it in the 2ndary (2 weeks ago), I moved it to a 69-70 degree area in my house.

Kinda not sure what to do with this one. Thanks for the help.

I've taken three approaches to this problem:

1. Wait. It didn't work out for me, but it's prudent. Check the temp, and if it's low, try to get the fermenter a bit warmer with a warming belt or just by moving it to a warmer area of the house.

2. Pitch a more aggressive yeast like EC-1118. If there's anything left to ferment, this bad boy will dry it out and fast. I've heard it can throw off flavors, but if it's a late addition, I think it'd be fine.

3. Bottle/keg. It's safer if you're kegging, since renewed fermentation won't cause detonation, but it's an option, especially if you've already tried the wait and the repitch approaches. I've also made a hops tea to increase the IBUs of a sweeter beer than intended on brew day.

Good luck,

Thanks for the reply Killinger - what is this yeast strain: EC-1118? Is it a dry or liquid yeast?

EC-1118 is dry Champagne yeast... I've found that it makes pretty good wine out of whatever fermentables I throw at it, although I haven't found an opportunity (or necessity) to use it in a beer yet.... *knocks on wood* ... It will definitely eat up any remaining sugars in your beer... I can't speak from experience about over-attenuation, though, having not used it in beer... I can imagine this might be a problem, but I don't know for sure...

Back