What to do with a broken keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drummahjake

Reaction score
I was doing a full breakdown of my keg to clean it when the gas post got stuck. It would not screw on or off. I put too much torque on it and ripped the post out.

What can I do with this keg? Is it just trash, can it be fixed, or is there another is for it?

20170617_102521.jpg

Thought about that. Using a SSbrewtech BM Chonical now though. Someone could probably weld it, but it'll probably cost more than it is worth.

I'm new to kegging so i may be off base here.

If it were me i'd grind the hole smooth and look for a stainless steel metal bulkhead to bolt in there.

It will be another thing that needs to be sanitized and checked between fillings but it's better than not having the keg.

Someone could probably weld it, but it'll probably cost more than it is worth.
Hi. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...so what do you have to lose? Find a metal fabricator in your area, preferably one that does Stainless Steel, and ask them. Heck, see if you can sweeten the deal with some homebrew. A new keg like that has to cost at least $70-80, so if the weld cost comes in at $30-40, you're still ahead. Just sayin. Ed
:mug:

For small tiny weld many welding shops will say bring us some beer or pizza... local shop rarely charges for tiny repairs but his beer fridge is never empty! He makes his money repairing farm equipment, the weld this leg back on, or weld my lawnmower axle repairs take 10 minutes at best so he doesn't bother charging. Heck He let me use his shop to swap the engine in my van and all it cost me was 5 cases of beer and I drank half of it swearing at that engine!

Note to self: NEVER swap the engine in a full size van again! We had to take most of the front sheet metal off, then the engine crane hit the firewall before we had the engine all the way in...then the transmission didn't want to line up!

Back