What to do with a bounty of weak first year hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessox80

Reaction score
I harvested recently (some pre-Irene and some post) and will get a smidge more, and my 2 first year plants have produced about 10-13 oz. dryweight of hops... that all smell VERY mild and have only some lupulin. I've vacuum bagged them and will let them age a few months, but I was planning on using them all in one batch (as bittering, flavoring, aroma) because I assume they'll be at least somewhat weak until year 3...Is this advisable? They are Newports, should that make any difference.

Newport is a high-AA hop that doesn't have much aroma. I always use the middle of the AA range for my home-grown hops. There isn't any need to age them, in fact, you can lose 40% of the AA in six months.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll brew this weekend! As far as the low aroma goes... Can I offset this by adding a majority of the hops (6 oz or so) in the last 10 min? I have quite a lot.

Back