What to do with a batch you don't like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OakPond

Reaction score
So basically I tried experimenting a bit with some recepies, and it didn't work so well. Batch didn't get infected, anything like that, I think it was just a bad recipie. I went for really hoppy, but this batch basically is drinking Chinook straight off the vine. Best way I know how to explain it. Just not that pleasant going down.

I bottled it, gave it a month, and it somehow feels like it only got even hoppier than last time. This is just a hop bomb.

I was thinking of giving it away, but I cant think of anyone that would enjoy it. Meanwhile I have a case and a half sitting here. Should I just suck it up and slowly just drink them over time? I don't really know what to do. All of my experimental recipies have gone wonderful until I created this Chinook Nuke IPA.

Unless you really, really need the bottles for something, let it age. Hops will fade over time.

If it really is super hoppy, try pouring a glass of half Chinook bomb and half BMC, or half something super malty like an English bitter.

Meanwhile, could you black 'n tan it? I had a super-hoppy IPA that by itself was almost unbearable (I know what you lupulists are thinking). I cut it 50/50 with one of my less-hoppy APAs and it was great combo.

Brew a low hop beer and then pour half and half when you drink it or buy a 30 pack of Old Mil, Light for $20 and experiment with blends using that.

I love hops and bitterness in particular but have over done it a couple of times. I've never had one that didn't mellow with age. As suggested, wait it out.

Or... send it to me and I'll let you know what I think next March or April. :)

Cook with it or combine it with another beer if you don't want to age it out. Either way I'd take a few and age them. You can learn and see what fades with time and what doesn't.

Send it to Billy-Klubb... dude pours milk over hop pellets for breakfast.

fact.

Nugget Harvest '09 043.jpg

0911001909.jpg

0911001912a.jpg

The flavor will fade and the ibu's will drop out or oxidize. Give it time. Or send them to a good home. I know a guy in Maine...

I only had 1 batch I poured out because it was horrible. I tried to drink it, waited a couple weeks, tried again. Just couldn't do it.
I've a few that were ok, but I wouldn't try to duplicate.

Usually give batches I don't like to the dog. 64 oz. at a time.

I made a blue moonish beer that nothing went right on. It tasted like dish water to me, my wife loves it. I was going to dump it, but she just adds an orage to each glass and loves it.

I made a blue moonish beer that nothing went right on. It tasted like dish water to me, my wife loves it. I was going to dump it, but she just adds an orage to each glass and loves it.

I made a blue moon that tasted like soapy dish water for like 5 months. Then it magically started tasting like oranges... I hate beer sometimes cause it didn't decide to do this until I only had like 4 bottles left.

Option: Take a beer bath. I remember seeing on here awhile back beer is good for your hair/skin.

Option: Do a 100% beer brine turkey/chicken. It takes a lot of beer to brine a turkey/chicken, dont use good beer, use bad beer/beer you dont like.

I brewed one batch that I just couldn't drink...

There's this one guy that's constantly telling me that he has an empty keg waiting for me to fill it for him... I obliged...

Back