What to buy next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi81

Reaction score
So I won some money from fantasy football and want to put it towards brewing supplies. I am torn between two things. Wanted to get others advice on what to get.

Option 1: Worth Chiller and Another 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermenter
Option 2: 6 Gallon Glass Carboy Primary Fermenter

I only currently have one primary fermenter, but am looking to up my game.

Option 3: fermentation temperature control!

...unless you already have a solution for that, in which case, go for the chiller.

Wort chiller it is. Do you think it is worth buying another plastic primary fermenter or should I wait to buy a glass?

Are those options supposed to be monetarily equal? Because the first option is definitely the way to go but is going to be more money that the glass carboy.

They are supposed to be somewhat equal. I want to buy another primary no matter what, but can only afford to buy a wort chiller and plastic primary, but not a glass primary and a wort chiller.

Glass has both benefits and draw backs. Same as plastic.

However, for what is worth, I sold my glass carboy and replaced it with a better bottle and never looked back. A wort chiller is a great investment and well worth it!

You could also check your local grocery store's bakery for free food grade buckets. I recently picked up 5 ~5.3 gallon buckets. It took a little elbow grease to get the icing out of them, and noticed it killed the grass where I dumped it, but now I have 5 buckets that can handle about 4.5 gallons of beer!

I must admit that I prefer the larger capacity buckets, but these are still nice to have.

Do you think it is worth buying another plastic primary fermenter or should I wait to buy a glass?

I would advise you not to ask that question, because it will most likely prompt a fanatical glass vs plastic debate that will subsume any useful information in the thread. There are arguments you can make for any of the fermentation containers, so I'd say read this and decide for yourself.

FWIW, I like glass.

My money would be spent on the chiller.

But thats going to be my next big purchase anyways.

Back