What to Brew with WL004 (Irish Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt3989

Reaction score
Okay, so I've got a stout in my FV right now, In another week or so I'm going to rack it over cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and tart cherries. I wanted to try my hand at reusing the yeast, I was originally thinking a big RIS, but now I'm not so sure I want that next. So I'm open to suggestions, if you have a good RIS recipe, or anything else with WL004 let me know. I haven't done anything AG yet, but I think I could handle it (I've done a partial BIAB). So I'm pretty much open to any suggestions.

Also, any tips for reusing the cake? either washing the yeast or pitching directly over the old cake.

You could do an Imperial Porter. I have reused my yeasts a few times to good outcomes. There are a couple ways to do it. first you could wash and decanter your old yeast, very time consuming, or just pour on top and shake. IMPO the pour on top works good for me. Good luck. :mug:

There is a guinness recipe on here that uses that yeast. It is called ODE TO ARTHUR.. I have went through 2 kegs already.. one is almost empty and one is on deck...yeah I like it.

I just brewed a milk stout (sweet stout) with this yeast this past weekend. I think it was the tastiest wort going into the fermenter that I've brewed, can't wait to try the final product. It was an AG recipe, but AG isn't too difficult, and you said you think you're ready. It could also be modified into a partial mash, or maybe an extract recipe (the marris otter base might be hard to replicate with extract). It'd probably be a good first AG recipe as there is a fair amount of roasted and chocolate malt; it's a pretty forgiving recipe. Let me know if you'd like me to post it.

First of all, you need to make sure the fermentation goes well and that the beer is good before reusing the yeast.

I was thinking an Irish red, I've got a porter bottled right now, and a stout finishing up, so I'd like to keep things different. A 6% Irish red kinda seems like you have one in mind to suggest already.

And yeah i know to make sure the yeast is okay.

I like sweet stouts, but like i said, I've got a dry stout finishing up soon, and after the chocolate and cherries i think it will finish on the sweeter side (just without the lactose and a little less body).

The same with the ode to Arthur suggestion. I'm adding it to my list of future brews though, because who doesn't love a good guinness?

I just brewed an Irish Red and it's in primary. It was my own recipe and I have no clue how it will turn out. It's around 5%, you could boost it. It was a 1.052 OG and you may be able to brew as is on your yeast too, I'm not sure what your stout was, but you want to stay away from repitching yeast from high gravity to lower gravity beers.

This guy was a partial Mash, but you could brew it with extract and steeping by using marris otter extract and steeping the flaked oats - you may want to adjust for the lack of conversion on the oats, but you'll still get some mouthfeel and body by steeping.

Or you could partial mash it, it was a super easy PM.

Again, it's in primary and I have no idea what it will taste like but it looks good to me and the stats are style appropriate. I would have loved to have made mine with a second pitch of yeast, so you'd have a good result there I bet!!

Here is the recipe:

Irish Red Ale

Type: Partial Mash Date: 10/24/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Tibeerio Brewing Co
Boil Size: 3.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Pot - 5 Gallon Extract kettle
End of Boil Volume 2.70 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal Est Mash Efficiency 75.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients