What to brew next.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Ok so I have my English pale ale in bottles now for a week and I would like to brew something else while im waiting for them to finish.

I was thinking a nice hefe or another esb cause those are my favorite beers.
How long does a hefe take to ferment and how hard are they to make if I buy a kit?

Hefeweizen is about the easiest batch you could do. Very fast to ferment and you don't generally condition them too much, mostly just to carbonate. If I do an extract hefeweizen, I'll usually just use wheat DME and hops. No steeped grains are really necessary, although sometimes I'll steep some flaked wheat for a little extra body. Ferment with wlp300 for about 10 days at (don't count days though, use a hydro measurement to make sure fermentation is done) and rack to bottles.

hefeweizens are probably among the easiest beers to make. Very few ingredients, since they are all about the yeast. You can bottle it in two weeks from brewday, and drink it about two weeks later.

hefes have quicker turn around than some other beers and a kit, Im asuming extract, is no more difficult than any other kit.

Ok so I have my English pale ale in bottles now for a week and I would like to brew something else while im waiting for them to finish.

I was thinking a nice hefe or another esb cause those are my favorite beers.
How long does a hefe take to ferment and how hard are they to make if I buy a kit?
I haven't done a Hefe but you'll find that the process if pretty much the same from beer to beer.
Although the specialty grains, the hops, and colors of the malt extract might change a little, butthe process is going to stay very close.

You can check the instructions for any style of beer on Northern Brewers site. (I have web blocking software here at work or I would link you directly) I am pretty sure it's the Kit Iventory on each beer)

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/bavarian-hefe-weizen-extract-kit-2.html

I haven't done a Hefe but you'll find that the process if pretty much the same from beer to beer.
Although the specialty grains, the hops, and colors of the malt extract might change a little, butthe process is going to stay very close.

I'm going to disagree with you a little bit here. While it is true that you can brew a lot of different beers using a similar process, if you consider every style, the process can vary pretty wildly.

Consider Ales vs. Lagers vs. Hybrids. Each have a different fermentation regimen. Even variations within each yeast type can be pretty different. Consider sour ales vs. low OG ales vs. high OG ales. The yeast pitching rates, fermentation process, and conditioning are pretty different for each.

But you're right in that your standard brown/pale/wheat/etc are all made using basically the same process, although I would suggest that you ferment your hefe on the cooler side unless you want a banana bomb.

I'm going to disagree with you a little bit here. While it is true that you can brew a lot of different beers using a similar process, if you consider every style, the process can vary pretty wildly.

Consider Ales vs. Lagers vs. Hybrids. Each have a different fermentation regimen. Even variations within each yeast type can be pretty different. Consider sour ales vs. low OG ales vs. high OG ales. The yeast pitching rates, fermentation process, and conditioning are pretty different for each.

But you're right in that your standard brown/pale/wheat/etc are all made using basically the same process, although I would suggest that you ferment your hefe on the cooler side unless you want a banana bomb.

Well my favorite beer ever is Alguar brauhaus bannana hefe! its so good so I think i do want a bannana bomb lol.

For a banana bomb, ferment it a little warm. By the way, you are going to want a blow off tube. Hefeweizen yeast takes off like a monster and foams like crazy.

what exactly is a blow off tube?? and does midwest beer supply sell them??

what exactly is a blow off tube?? and does midwest beer supply sell them??
Not something you need to buy.

Your bottling or transfer hose should fit in to the rubber grommet that goes into your carboy or bucket.
It the hose in place of the airlock and have the hose run in to a bucket with sanitizer.

Here are two pictures of different blow off hoses

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/167911390_791d6989de.jpg

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/Airlockbo2.jpg

Latest posts

Back