What to brew? Inherited grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
So my friend passed away and his wife gave me some of his brewing stuff and 2 bags of grain. 50lbs of pilsner malt and 40 of 6 row. I don’t brew or drink many pilsners and have only used 6 row to assist with enzymes when my base is all munich, I have also heard of it being used for the hard stuff.

So my friend passed away and his wife gave me some of his brewing stuff and 2 bags of grain. 50lbs of pilsner malt and 40 of 6 row. I don’t brew or drink many pilsners and have only used 6 row to assist with enzymes when my base is all munich, I have also heard of it being used for the hard stuff.

You can use Pilsner malt for any recipe as your base malt, it is not strictly used for just German Pilsners.

Try a smash beer to see what you are working with and then try it out in a recipe you have.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Nice of his wife to give you those grains.

The possibilities are practically endless. Pilsner makes an excellent base malt for many styles, and as @Sammy86 mentioned, you could do a SMASH beer with it alone. The 6-row would be good in a mash with lots of adjuncts, due to its high diastatic power.

Sorry about your friend passing.

I found a recipe for shiner Bock on Brewers friend the other day that called for 6 row as part of the base malt.

Thank you all for your condolences. A good way to honor him would be to brew a beer for him. I like the SMASH idea. These are just 2 grains that I haven’t had the chance to fool with. Shiner Bock is an old school fav, we used to crush those some 20 plus years ago.

You can really use Pilsner for the base for anything I’ve never used 6 row but I’m thing you can definitely use them both for a simple ipa

50/50 pilsner and 6 row, 20% flaked corn to make a cream ale.
Or add rice, un-malted wheat, rye....look up cereal mash and you'll be good to go.
There's a Kentucky common recipe on here that uses barley malt, unmalted corn and rye.
With that much grain I'd be tempted to make a barleywine type cream ale and then run some more sparge water though it to make a small batch of session ale.
Try using some of the pilsner to make your own victory malt.

Back