What to add to my saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1n

Reaction score
So i brewed a saison (dupont strain)a few months ago that never got below 1.01. I like mine dry so i would like to get it lower with bugs and make it more funky and sour.

What should i add?

Should i add maltodextrin to give the bugs more stuff to eat?

How long would i need to age it?

Could take many months to years to finish, you don't know until the beer tells you it's ready.

At 1010 there is plenty left for the bugs. Although it'll be tough on any bacteria due to the presence of alcohol and probably over 20 ibu of hops (correct?)

At this point I'd just go bottle dregs. Good chance you can still get sour too, using the right bottles.

Jolly pumpkin, crooked stave, cascade, lots of choices. Add as much as you want over time.

I would just add a strain of Brett, or a blend, into secondary and let the Brett chew through the remaining sugars until its finished. You will likely see light activity in the fermenter, tiny bubbles rising to the surface. It should finish in 2-3 months, possibly sooner as every fermentation is different.

Dont add the malto dextrin, there are plenty of sugars left for the Brett to work on. Adding Maltodextrine is just going to prolong the refermentation. The beer wont be sour but the Brett will dry it out and leave it with a rustic complexity that will change and evolve over time.

Toss in some Brett C and forget about it for a few months. Brew some quicker turnaround beers in the meantime.

I'd personally add brett lambicus as I'm a huge fan of the intense fruity funk it can create after 3 months or so. If you decide to pitch any brett strains, I'd recommend not touching it for at least 3 months. I've brewed numerous beers that have brett pitched after a sacch strain and while some have produced noticeable brett flavors quicker than 90 days, rarely is the brett flavor prominent enough to my liking before 90 days.

Thanks guys. Ill prob add some Brett and some bottle dregs and leave it alone for a while. im in no rush with this beer. i have my non sour beers i can turn around fast to drink in the mean time.

Back