What the hell is wrong with the site?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D the Catastrophist

Reaction score
Getting really F×cking annoyed with this website. I will be in the middle of typing a post pr comment when the site will reload and delete all of it. I had a long post with multiple links on a research paper about Apple varieties and traits that impact making cider. Gone. Went to go get a url for a new member. Screen blinked and gone post is gone. Fxck.

Google and Chrome, off an android phone and a laptop. Pretty much if you navigate away from the page for any reason, even to just go to an already open window, the page sh!ts itself and reloads, dumping anything you had written.

iPad. Doesn’t happen all the time but definitely experienced it many times

Chrome on multiple PC's here, never had it.

I can share the pain, I do get it on an A/V forum. I dont' lsoe what I typed but it'll stop typing int he text box. I call it "stealing focus".

For that site I noticed it definitely correlates to ads reloading. If that helps find root cause here.

Deskside, LT, tablet or phone, I must be lucky as heck because I can't recall ever having things vanish or suddenly reload on me in the middle of editing.
I've had the site go tits up in middle of creating a post, but that's hardly novel...

Cheers!

I've had this same problem. Super annoying. Using Chrome on iphone.

It happened so often that I started using the native Notes app on my phone to write long posts so that I could cut and paste them into this website.

There were several long posts I have written over the past few weeks that they've got a raced and a page refresh, and I didn't have the time or patience to then rewrite them.

Most unusual. If I start a post and then leave the page without posting the reply, the text is usually still there in the reply box when I come back. There are times I have to erase it to make it go away. Chrome on PC and Android. I dont recall seeing a reload happen however.

One thing that does irritate the heck out of me is that if I use shift+enter 2x to start a new paragraph with a space between paragraphs, which I do as habit because enter alone in other forums/sites submits a post, and then backspace in the new paragraph the space in between the paragraphs is deleted. Shift enter is a paragraph continuation in Word but why the in between deletion of the space when I am fixing a miskey well past the space?

Last edited:
One thing that does irritate the heck out of me

Lol! This forum runner totally hates white space.
Like, try to make a table where you want to pad column entries with spaces to align them.
Ain't...gonna...happen! 😁

Anyway...back to the OP's issue...I have more problems removing conflicting automatically-saved drafts than ever losing input...

Cheers!

Most unusual. If I start a post and then leave the page without posting the reply, the text is usually still there in the reply box when I come back. There are times I have to erase it to make it go away.
I have the same experience.*
Whenever the Reply box happens to be empty when I return to a page, I refresh the page (F5) and the content reappears.
I gather the last reply box content is cached within the browser. Thank you Google!

* PC, Win7, using the last Chrome build that could still be installed, which is about 9 months old now. Bad Google!
Although I don't think either of us will ever going to be ready for Win 10 (or up), one day we'll probably need to give in.

Lol! This forum runner totally hates white space.
Like, try to make a table where you want to pad column entries with spaces to align them.
Ain't...gonna...happen! 😁

Anyway...back to the OP's issue...I have more problems removing conflicting automatically-saved drafts than ever losing input...

Cheers!

Do have the issue of the Haunting of The Undead Unfinished Text tho

Apropos for the season.
If you have ghost text in a reply box that you want to get rid of just click on the three vertical dot in the upper right corner next to the refresh icon, then click on the diskette looking icon that appears, and delete draft. *You have to refresh the page for the text to disappear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot from 2023-10-12 08-18-12.jpg

If you have ghost text in a reply box that you want to get rid of just click on the three vertical dot in the upper right corner next to the refresh icon, then click on the diskette looking icon that appears, and delete draft. *You have to refresh the page for the text to disappear.

View attachment 831407
Good to know.

But it's also fun coming back the next day and wondering WTF I was trying to say by seeing what Nightime Me randomly blathered on about but couldn't manage to hit the POST REPLY button before stumbling away from the keyboard.

And may the gods protect you all should I ever try to post from one of them there teeny tiny virtual keyboards on a phone.

I know how to delete draft text, it's just a bit annoying to have to, and that I can't turn the "save draft" function off...

Cheers!

I'll play...
Chrome on Windows 10 & 11 laptops and desktops. HBT on app on Galaxy phone (or Samsung internet occasionally). Although I rarely use the app/phone for commenting, I've never experienced an issue like described by OP on any platform. Someone mentioned ads may be the culprit. Do you have an ad blocker running?

Does this happen with other sites and/or browsers?
Have you tried running SFC (system file checker)?
Is Chrome using most/all of your resources?
Is tab discarding turned off in Chrome?

The cause could be a plenty. These are just the first things I would check.

Wohoo I used the delete draft and F5:rock:.

Chrome is always using all my resources. And it knows everything about me. No matter what I try, it's like that big plant in Little Shop of Horrors.

Investigating tab discarding but I bet if I try to search it, Chrome will autofill it.

Latest posts

Back