What the hell is this? Infection? Pls help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Ok so I'm in panic mode... I just dryhopped my IPA Monday night and thought I'd take a peek at it and saw this!

There's some bubbles coming from the hop bag and this "gunk" around it. I turned the carboy a quarter turn to look and all this gunk began to cascade down.

I boiled the sacks for about 10 mins before I put the hops in. Thought I was pretty careful...

What now?

image-3612520748.jpg

image-2930610649.jpg

For future dry hopping. .. sink the hop sac. With out the surface area there is less of a chance of a funk growing. Sinking the hops also allows for more hop flavor to come through and less "grassy" flavor and aroma.

That's just yeast rafts,krausen foam & cold break. Adding dry hops can kinda get things goin a little bit. Think nucleation points. It then stirs up the funk.
And in my experiences,letting dry hops float doesn't cause grassy flavors or aromas or moldering. Since it forms a nucleation point for dissolved co2,it re-fills the head space & will bubble a lil bit. But fruit can be another matter.

Like everyone said , It looks normal. Hops are oily and leave a "slick" on top which kinda traps anything that may float up.

Ok, so no infection, pfew!

So do you think it's hop debris or new krausen? Weird, it was in the secondary for a week and was pretty clear of debris. Also, i tied the sacks in a knot so I don't think it could be hop debris?

Will it clear out? I'm hoping to bottle Sunday.

I have a bunch of glass marbles that get boiled and added to the hop bag when I dry hop. that will help to get the bag below the surface.

Ok, so no infection, pfew!

So do you think it's hop debris or new krausen? Weird, it was in the secondary for a week and was pretty clear of debris. Also, i tied the sacks in a knot so I don't think it could be hop debris?

Will it clear out? I'm hoping to bottle Sunday.

Re-read my 1st post. I explained it there...

Thanks Unionrdr I guess I was still in panic mode when I sent that last post. I've dry hopped two other times and didnt see that happen and is why I was worried.

Looks like a lot if the "gunk" has fallen but there's still some floaters.

Maybe next time I should throw the pellets in loose...

Nah,just keep baggin them. Then you won't have hop floaters as well. The dry hop addition usually does stir things up a bit. It just stirred up some yeast & cold break off the bottom. It usually sinks again.

Back