what the heck am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNM

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got a new tap for my home brew and it's leaking out of the tail piece and the hex nut. Looks perhaps the nut or the barb is too small? I have the washer as pictured though I can move with my finger and there's a bit of space so it's not a perfect seal so to speak.

I've tried making sure it's seated correctly repeatedly, tightening more, if the end of the hose was leaking and so on, just leaks all the flipping time :(

Any thought's into how to resolve? Note I just chopped a bit off the line to see where it was leaking from so hence the lack of clamp etc

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

Looking closely at that first picture, it sure looks like the leak is actually in the tail piece itself - the beer appears to be oozing out at the base of the barb.

I'd wipe that thing down and watch the leak re-appear and see exactly where it shows up first.

Otherwise, try a film of keg lube on the beer gasket before screwing the beer nut on the shank...

Cheers!

Thanks! I'll try the lube for sure. It's definitely coming out between the nut the and the circular part of the barb

The video is a perfect witness: that tailpiece has a void between the barb and the base. Amazing, never seen or heard of that before.

A new tail piece and you'll be in bidness!

Cheers!

thank you sir! Well at least my first brew came out rather nice and a plus! :tank:

Back