What the H am I missing here???!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
OK, heres the deal

I ordered my first ket setup from midwest supplies so I would get it before thanksgiving so I could keg before I left. I did recieve it, and started to clean and sanitize the keg. But the O-rings for the in and out were both shot. So I called and they said they would send me new rings, no problem. Except now I had to wait until after Thanksgiving to keg.

O-rings finally show up today so I prep the keg (again): clean sanitize etc.

I go to put the thing together tonight, and the freakin O-rings are way to big :mad: They pull right over the flare at the end of the out tube!!!

Am I missing something here? I mean the damned post wont even fit over the O-rings they sent me :mad:

Here is a pic I took from this forum that shows the tube and the O-ring that I am speaking of. The ring they sent is just too damned big.

beerintube.jpg

So, what now? Wait til they send me the right one? Can I just go to the hardware or car parts store and get the right sized ring? I am very p@$!ed off right now, I need to get this beer in the keg. I should have just bottled the damned stuff and been done with it. :(

Also, the tube doesn't seem to fit all the way down in the post. Meaning, that the bottom of the tube hits the bottom of the keg before the top is seated properly. Is this normal?

Not sure about the o-rings, but the post hitting bottom has happened to me before... I don't mean to insult, but is it in the beer side opening? There should be an indent in the bottom of the keg for the beer line to fit in... If it is, you can always trim some of the dip tube off... I mixed up some dip tubes from a batch of kegs and one was sitting flush on the bottom of the keg... Couldn't get any flow... Trimmed 1/4" off of it and worked like a champ...

Good luck...

:mug:

Duckfoot, no insult taken.

That was my first thought too, but I was sure to mark the post properly and this keg has an "IN" stamped into the rubber on the handle of the in side as well.

I may trim it a bit anyway, I think this would keep from picking up any sludge that falls out.

as far as the o-rings go, did they send you the 5-pack oring set? If so one is for the lid, two are for the posts, and two are for the dip tubes. Are you getting the post and dip tube orings mixed up?

If they only sent you two rings, and they are that big, I'd try putting one on the post. If it fits fine, then looks like they sent you post o rings.

Do you have any better pics? corny and challenger kegs take the same size IIRC. I would have to check my bag of rings to make sure though. As far as the dip tube, is it in there so that the tube goes all the way to the indent? I notice the tube is bent, so the indent has to be in the middle of the keg and not the side.

As far as the rings go, they are the same OD as the dip tube and gas tube. If they are larger in diameter then they sent the wrong ones.

Doesn't say where you are located, but a visit to a local shop will get you o-rings for maybe $.45 each or you can hit up a grainger and buy a pack of 100 for about $3. You'll also want to buy some keg lube as well. The lube seals up the o-rings really well and makes for easier sealing on the lid.

Ok, now we may be getting somewhere.

They did not send me an O-ring kit of any kind, Just 4 rings in an envelope and they are all the same size.

When I recieved the keg there were no rings on the threaded posts at all. There were just the large ring for the lid and one on each of the tubes.

I just checked it out, and yes these do fit over the threaded posts, so I guess I learned something out of this :cross:

But then, why were these not there to begin with??

But, that doesn't solve the problem of the dip tubes rings that I am still missing. Again, I ask what is stopping me from getting these from another source (auto parts, hardware, etc)??

Do you have any better pics? corny and challenger kegs take the same size IIRC. I would have to check my bag of rings to make sure though. As far as the dip tube, is it in there so that the tube goes all the way to the indent? I notice the tube is bent, so the indent has to be in the middle of the keg and not the side.

As far as the rings go, they are the same OD as the dip tube and gas tube. If they are larger in diameter then they sent the wrong ones.

Doesn't say where you are located, but a visit to a local shop will get you o-rings for maybe $.45 each or you can hit up a grainger and buy a pack of 100 for about $3. You'll also want to buy some keg lube as well. The lube seals up the o-rings really well and makes for easier sealing on the lid.

Actually, that pic isn't from mine its just one I found here. But, my tube is bent also and the indent is to the side.

what type of lube can i use?

I apologize for my ignorance, Just trying to put this all together.

Thanks!

yes you can go to the hardware store and get O rings, I would get the silicone ones if you can. If you are keging you should get yourself a pack from Mc Master Carr 100 of each O ring youll need. They are so cheep and a great thing to have in the brewery.

So I found the O-rings locally and got the beer in the keg this afternoon. :ban:

Everything worked great, had to adjust the lid just a bit to get it to seal.

Then, this afternoon what should appear on my desk? A complete O-ring package from Midwest :D

So I must say that even though I had the initial issue with the rings, Midwest was great to deal with overall and I'm glad to see how pro-active they were in getting me what I needed.

In fact, I'm gonna be brewing one of their partial mash kits this evening.

Back