What the Eff??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipNswirl

Reaction score
I think i officially had the worst brewday yet. I have a pretty good idea of where i went wrong but was hoping i could get some feedback to confirm.

I set out to brew a 6 gallon batch of IPA with a grain bill of 16 Lbs. Things started out on the wrong foot when my LHBS mis-read my chicken scratch and instead of 3.5 Lbs Munich Malt I got 5.5. I didn't notice this until later so i was short on strike water.
I use a 5 gallon bucket with false bottom as my mash tun and decided that since this was going to be a big beer and i wanted to make sure i maxed out my efficiency i did 2 small mashes and combined them in one pot. The first mash was perfect, I hit my target pre-boil gravity of 1.059. after the first mash was completed i started the second, and right away noticed that i didn't have enough strike water. I waited for the temp to settle and it was too hot (160 and i wanted 154) so i added some cool water to bring it down and thin out the mash a bit. It may have dropped to about 152 or 150. I sparged into my kettle and collected about 31 or 32 quarts total from both mashes. the temp during the 2nd sparge was 144, and even though i don't trust my thermometer that much i can be sure it was too low. I took a gravity reading while the wort was heating up and it was somewhere around 1.052. after boiling for 90 minutes i was only at 1.059 (target OG was 1.069) and about 2 quarts under 6 gallons.

I'm sure my sparge temp had a great deal to do with the low gravity of the 2nd mash. How much effect would not having enough strike water have on my efficiency? As long as i get the temp close, does it matter how thick or thin the mash is?

To be honest by the end of this very long brewday i wasn't too accuarte with my hydrometer readings...i already knew it was screwed so I just wanted to get this thing cooled and in the primary. I thought i was being smart with doing 2 mashes but maybe it's too much to control...and in hindsight i could have fit the whole thing into my mashtun.

totally bummed about this one...what a waste of grains! I know this is long, but if someone actually reads it all and has some advice, or needs more info please help!!! thanks all :)

A: IT's not a waste of grains unless you don't end up with beer. Seems to me you're about .010 off from your expected OG. Big whopdedoo! It will still be beer.

A lower temp mash will sacrifice body for abv... Also the thicker mash will increase body, so you might no lose too much.

Any way you look at it, you're making beer. It might be way off balance, it might be really hoppy, (OH NO! a hoppy IPA!) or it might be a boring beer. Let it do it's thing then give it a taste.

Next time if you can't fit it all in the mash tun, do two separate mashes, but pay attention to temps and weight!

B

haha, you're right i know! it IS still beer and I've yet to make a batch i wasn't happy with. I guess this time i was really trying to do everything i could to maximize my efficiency and the 2nd mash went haywire! once i read my receipt from the LHBS (after i pitched the yeast) i realized i had 2 extra pounds of grain i was doomed from the beginning!

Thanks for the tips :)

Back