What temp to calculate for carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDIr0n

Reaction score
I always have kegged so I don't really know the answer to this one. I have a beer that is finishing up fermentation, and I am going to keg 5 gallons of it and force carbonate that amount, and I am going to fill 2 x 1 gallon polypins/cubetainers for some cask beer that I want to naturally carbonate. I am looking to do 1.3-1.4 volumes, now where I am going to serve it from will be at 45 degrees, but where I am going to have it carbonate will be at 70. So I think I use 45 degrees and plug it into a priming calculator. If anybody can clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-G

When calculating a priming solution the significance of the beer temperature is to understand how much of the CO2 produced during primary fermentation was absorbed by the beer. The calculator will factor that in when deriving the amount of CO2 required to complete the carbonation to the desired level.

So...the number you should put into the calculator is the temperature of the beer at the end of carbonation - not the serving temperature...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
When calculating a priming solution the significance of the beer temperature is to understand how much of the CO2 produced during primary fermentation was absorbed by the beer. The calculator will factor that in when deriving the amount of CO2 required to complete the carbonation to the desired level.

So...the number you should put into the calculator is the temperature of the beer at the end of carbonation - not the serving temperature...

Cheers!

The number you put in is the warmest temperature after fermentation, because the calculator wants to adjust your priming sugar for how much CO2 got into the beer in the carboy.

Ok thanks, so it looks like for 1.35 volumes I need to add 8.04 grams of corn sugar since my beer is currently at 70 and will carbonate at that temp.

Thanks,
-G

Latest posts

Back