What styles do you make with Bry-97?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I'm making NB's Smash Session ale now with Bry-97. Planning on harvesting it. I also have NB's Phat Tyre, Caribou Slobber and Dead Ringer. From reading the Bry-97 description from the manufacturer it sounds like a very flexible yeast and they claim it can work in pale ales, IPAs, brown ales and ambers, so, according to the them, it would work fine with my other kits. Just wondered if you guys had any experience with this yeast. I know it's known as a slow starter and while I experienced that - a little - myself, I don't really care about it starting slow. I am more concerned with its impact on those other kits, flavor wise.

A style that would normally call for US-05, but they were out.

What reason(s) do you like 05 more than 97? I've had good luck with both, but not sure if I really have a preference. I know 05 seems like a more common default dry yeast on most kits, but wasn't really sure why.

What reason(s) do you like 05 more than 97? I've had good luck with both, but not sure if I really have a preference. I know 05 seems like a more common default dry yeast on most kits, but wasn't really sure why.

That's just it for me...US-05 more common. It's a bit cheaper in my neck of the woods too. Other than that, I can't perceive any discernible difference.

the only time I've used it was for a 13% IRS. Blew the top off of the fermenter and all over the wall. That was with just sprinkling the dry yeast packet into the wort. It worked/tasted great. :mug: :D

You can use it in all of those kits with fine results. It's very comparable to US05, but I've had better flocculation with BRY97.

Mostly APA's but IPA would be great as well. Didn't know that it is from Anchor brewing...

Latest posts

Back